[imgs] Tokina 10-17 - first shots

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kanzlr, Jul 9, 2007.

1. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    Hi there!

I already posted this on dprev, but i know not everybody browses these so i tought for those interested, i post my first photos with this lens and some impressions here too:

I received my new Tokina 10-17 fisheye on friday and took it with me on a walk trough the city of Vienna. I only had approx. an hour and i think it will take quite a while to get used to the FOV the fishy provides. Its hard for me to know in advance how the img will look like on the big screen, but its a fun challenge to produce usable imgs. I try to avoid the classic fisheye stuff and hope to enjoy the lens even when the novelity wears off. I want to see it as a super wide angle lens with certain characteristics, rather than a funny tool. and i do prefere fish distortion vs. rectilinear distortion by far (at least most of the time).

I find the wide FOV to be a challenge for exposure! you get so much in the frame that its VERY hard not to over/underexpose some part of it.

I also bought the Fisheye-Hemi plugin from Image Trends and its excellent. imho a 10mm fish img ran trough the hemi plugin gives a much more pleasing perspective than a rectilinear super wide lens.

the first img was treated with the hemi plugin, all others are as is, just slightly cropped. the first two are taken at 10mm, the last one is 17mm (and my favourite):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for those interested, i have uploaded the first img as a RAR archive, containing the original out of camera 10mp JPG as well as the same img treated with the HEMI plugin (i've chosen this img because i wanted to see how people on the border will look like - in a word, superb). see here: http://www.berny.at/hemi-vergleich.rar

2. Interesting shots. I particularly like the last one. I've been thinking about picking up a copy of this lens.
    Michael

3. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT

added two more, but i still think no.3 is better than both. hm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ups, the txt under the first img is wrong :)
    it should be "Albertina"...

4. Hi Kanzlr,

first of all, the effect the lens gives to the 3rd image is really stunning. Secondly, I'd like to know which is the different from a 10mm fisheye and a 17mm fisheye. It's just a matter of field framed? in both cases you should have a 180° angle of view or at least 120° if dx somewhat affects that.
    Just to know, thanks in advance.

5. P.S.: I've been in Wien in sept. 2004 and I loved it! Really romantic and beautiful city!

6. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    :)

i uploaded a zip archive containing a shot at 10 and one at 17mm.
    the fish effect is also less pronounced at 17mm.
    and of course it changes the FOV! a 300mm lens has a different FOV than a 50mm lens, right? :)

see here:

http://www.berny.at/10-17.zip

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Those are really nice. Don't worry about the differential exposure - that's just the way the light is! I've wondered about this lens since it came out. Your examples are encouraging!