Immature little blue heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Thee are from a New England swamp taken last August. The last one shows one changing to its adult blue. It was too far away for a good image but I am posting it to show an inbetween little blue.
    i-QfDDbTq-XL.

2. Hunting
    i-WN3DMw9-L.

i-93HSBzD-L.

i-vHRjPgk-L.

2. Love the environmental image of the "half and half." I've seen the intermediate phase twice at local wildlife refuges, but never close enough to image. Interesting to note I have only seen one confirmed juvenile in white over the same time period. The birds here are more skittish than elsewhere, and longer lenses are a must to get adequate resolution in our images. We get a lot of GWE's, so white wading birds are present, but snowies are somewhat scarce (unless there is major spring/summer flooding along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, rendering the bottomlands as large swamps). Thanks for "the reminder" about the intermediate plumage...

3. The birds are closer at this location than many others. The problems is there are many trees that limit sunlight until the sun is quite high. No "great light" here.

4. Very good Allan, super shot on that first one.