impact lightstand/boom

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by dbguy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I have the Impact heavy duty stand that I just used for my AB 800. . It works great.

I don't think I would put the AB out on the boom though.:eek: Sounds like a bad idea.

I think Impact products are just fine. I have 2 stands and a couple umbrella's . . . All work great for a good price.

2. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I had one break, under no unusual circumstances. One of the fittings came off (I think some plastic part snapped). But for the price, they are great and if you are doing indoor stuff it is a no brainer, they are cheap and usable.

3. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I have a heavy duty Impact 13-foot air stand for my lights. Quality of the Impact stand is good, so I would buy Impact again.

You do realize that this boom arm is for reflectors, and most likely would not hold up to using more than the lightest of lights with no modifiers, (Softbox etc) and only 3-feet from the stand, according to that B&H page. I have one of these arms, tho it is a Photoflex, I would not consider hanging a light off it, AB’s included.

If you want to hang lights off a boom, you should look at a heavy duty boom, And an weight. You would also probably want heavy duty legs.

However, this setup you linked to would work fine for holding a reflector, and the legs would be ok for lights and small modifiers, but you could also do just fine with smaller legs and the arm for reflectors.

4. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I've used the ones that tell sell as a kit with 2 stands and 2 umbrella seemed kinda flimsy to me..But it worked.

5. hmm i want to use the stand with a boom, i might have to consider alien bees stand or something.

6. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    I have that exact stand. It came in a kit. For light duty it is OK, but if I was buying one as a stand alone, I'd get the H.D. version.

7. Apollux

Apollux Guest

I have successfully used that same boom to place a SB-800 mounted on an umbrella adapter (without the umbrella) fitted with a longer stud on the stand end and no other light modifier (should be OK with DIY snoops and grids, but nothing more).

You NEED a counter-weigh for anything heavier than the smallest reflector. Even the 42" 5-in-1 reflector is a barely there solution without a counter-weigh. I solved the issue with a DIY sand bag (no need to buy such a low tech product at the store).

Finally, keep in mind that it is 13' long ONLY if used as a regular light stand, when in boom configuration you have about 8' of clearance from the floor (7.5' in fact, because the SB-800 cause some sagging of the arm).

8. I'm using the Bogen Heavy Duty Boom 085BSL mounted to a Bogen Autopole. The Autopole is compressed between the floor and the ceiling so it can't fall or be knocked over. My biggest concern with a boom is having it hit a client since the light will often be above their head.