Imperfect Wild Rose and Foxglove

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    For fun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Snider

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry, the detail you captured is great! And the color in the first one is just stunning!

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome job on these Jerry

Care to share what camera/lens combo you used?

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Sorry! These were taken with a D2X with Nikon 200 Macro. A bit of fill flash used with the Foxglove, natural light with the rose.
    Jerry Snider

5. Very nice Jerry, especially the fox gloves. Is this a garden variety or does it grow like that in the wild?

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    A horticultural variety for sure, pic taken at Spring Grove. Here in Cincinnati we have Spring Grove Cemetery, a 900+ acre rolling hills area (began in 1848) and arboretum. Has over 900 varieties of flowering trees/shrubs, state record sized trees, a natural forested area in the center with wildflowers, lots of animals, numerous ponds with swans, geese, herons, and a lot of ornamental flowers planted. It is a heavily treed area and universities from 4-5 states around bring their horticultural/dendrology classes to visit/study. This, in addition to the gothic mosuleums and classic, highly ornamental grave stones. Great place for bicycling, lunchtime walkers, folks feeding geese, etc. Also used for numerous weddings. A really multifunctional area, yet one of Cincinnati's better kept secrets for some reason--likely because of the word cemetery. My college students were quite timid approaching their first field trip to Spring Grove, only to find that they loved the place after the first trip and were anxious to return.
    Jerry Snider

7. Nice shots Jerry....you really know your flora my friend!! I am glad we have someone with your expertise in the forum!! Thanks!! :D :D :D

8. Jerry,

I would never have imagined a cemetery to be so lovely! I am going to add this site to my list for next year. The fox glove image is breath taking, thank you for sharing.

9. I like the sharpness and color of both photo, have you ever compare the 60 and 105 to the 200?

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I do have the 105, have never used the 60. The 200, for my purposes, exceeds the 105 in just about every way, i.e. great working distance--flowers, insects on flowers, butterflies, eliminating casting shadows on the subjects being photographed. However, this does mean that you need room to use it!
    Jerry Snider