Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis)

My son took our dog out back night before last and yelled from the back deck that there was the biggest moth he had ever seen out there. I grabbed the camera and took a few pictures of it. It was still out there the next morning, laying eggs (supposedly they are non-destructive, so maybe I can track a few as caterpillars and get some shots of them as well).

I looked it up online and found it was an Imperial Moth. It is a really cool little beast and I was fairly happy with the detail of the hairs. Not so happy with the color, but this was a Coolpix on a dark back deck with a yellow "bug light" illumination. The flash shots were too blue and the non flash shots were too yellow (and noisy). I'm still playing with the colors, but I wanted to share what I had so far...

This one shows the size -- these are 6" deck planks, so it is in the upper end of the species size (said to be 4-5.5" in wingspan). It also shows the color fairly accurately -- bright yellow with lilac details and legs:
28466411-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one was without a flash, so the color is a bit off (and noisy), but it shows the beautifully thick shaggy hair on the back:
28466414-M.jpg

Here is the leg detail:
28466415-M.jpg

The other few shots and the full size versions are here: http://cmpalmer.smugmug.com/gallery/661054

F

FlyingFlowers

Wow that is beautiful. The second photo looks like one of those fur rugs.

Excellent shots Chris. I like the fuzzy one too. 8)

Are you coming to the Cafe get together this weekend? We should get a ton of great shooting opportunities at the botanical gardens.

Chris,

Yikes! I agree with Leigh, I don't think I could have handled seeing a moth that large. It reminds me of an old sci fi movie, 'Mothra'. Excellent capture though. I especially like the second image. The detail is great!

Latest threads

Top Bottom