Import from card reader to LR2 issue(Mac)

I use a card reader to import pictures from my CF cards to my Mac and I am having issues when when the card is nearly full of RAW files. It will import about 12 or 15 pictures out of about 200(4gb cards) and then give me an error message that "Card has been ejected improperly" and it stops importing.

What I have to do is keep unplugging the reader from the USB port and after several times it will download all of them...obviously that is a pain to do.

Any thoughts on why this happens??

Mac with OS X and LR2.

Thanks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm not an expert on Macs but I've seen a lot of card readers, some good some bad. They have got much better in the last couple of years. How old is it? My guess is that if you spend a few dollars on a new one your problems will be solved.

I don't know why that is happening, but I can tell you that when I plug in a CF card...I transfer them to a folder on my computer, then I import that folder in LR. Not one single problem over the years...and its a lot faster of an import into LR that way. I'd give that a try.

It could be a Lightroom issue but I think unlikely as LR2 has been out for some time and this issue is not a known one.
As suggested it is most likely a card reader or cable issue as Lightroom uses the OS to import and the message you see is generated by the OS not Lightroom. Try d/loading from your camera as a test or with a different card reader or cable - try to eliminate different components.

It could be a Lightroom issue but I think unlikely as LR2 has been out for some time and this issue is not a known one.
As suggested it is most likely a card reader or cable issue as Lightroom uses the OS to import and the message you see is generated by the OS not Lightroom. Try d/loading from your camera as a test or with a different card reader or cable - try to eliminate different components.

After 4 times of unplugging and plugging the card reader in I gave up and decided to plug the camera in and try that. The first time it seemed like it was loading but in the end it didn't load any as it said all the pics were loaded(I am assuming it was only seeing the first 100 or so it had loaded)...BUT as it was going through the first set(and not really loading any) the auto-message came up to load the pics. I am talking about the default that LR brings up when a card reader is plugged in....I clicked Import as I normally do and it loaded all of the pictures.

In other words what I did when I plugged the camera in was go to File...."Import From Device"......I think if I had waited a minute or so I wouldn't have gotten the regular pop up menu and all would have been good.

So....as was mentioned I am thinking too it may be the card reader...it's a few years old(3 or 4 maybe).

Thanks again

Has it always been like this? Or is this something new that's happening?

If it's new have you changed anything? Have you repaired permissions?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom