IMPORTANT: Lighting 102 Starts Today!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Ray C., Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/ (A MUST read, really...)

I truly believe this is an absolutely tremendous opportunity for ALL photographers. (After all, the word "photography" means drawing/painting with light!)

As Dave mentions, Lighting 102 is for everyone from the brand new shooter to the seasoned pro (and some of those dudes are INSANELY good!) So, c'mon and join the fun.

Let the journey begin!

Can you tell I'm excited? :866: :biggrin:

2. So far this has been pretty anti-climatic. We are three days into this and the only assignment we have received is to guess the 7 ways to control light. Am I missing something?

3. Yeah, I think David made a mistake by not including an assignment in his first lesson. And if you read the responses to L102, you'll see we're not alone.

But David did give an assignment of sorts. He's identified a course "textbook", and provides an Amazon purchasing link. I wonder if he has a financial involvement...

"As we get to concepts that also are covered in the book Light: Science & Magic, I will be referencing sections you may wish to review. So if you are stuck on a point, this should help you to get past it."

4. Yes, I saw that Frank. I am going on the assumption that I can get by without the book and just use my own wits.

5. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    As much as I love the stobist, I HATE the site! It's impossible to navigate. I found the first part of lighting 102 but where is the next page? All I see is some drop down box to bookmark something on websites I don't use. How do I get to the 7 ways to control lighting?

6. AHA! I was browsing through my bookshelves for something else and sure enough, I happen to have LIGHT: SCIENCE & MAGIC! Just pulled it off the shelf and will take a look through. Mine is c1990, so I don't know if the one being cited is a later edition or not. Basic principles will be the same, of course.....

ETA: ah, after a look at the Strobist site I see that the book is now in its 3rd edition. OK.....

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. It hasn't been published yet. When it is, it will be on the front page.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Paul,

Its a good read. Might even help with those jewelry reflections you spoke of on another thread. :smile:

10. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    In my opinion, Light: Science and Magic by Hunter and Fuqua is an excellent book about photographic lighting. It explains the why and how, rather than the more typical cookbook approach to lighting. It spends much space discussing how characteristics of the light source and angles of illumination affect reflections, shadows and appearance of surfaces, textures, shapes, and three dimensional objects. For example, the chapter on illuminating glassware contains a quite readable discussion of bright field and dark field illumination, classic skills taught to students of photography for many years. The chapter on lighting for portraiture is also outstanding, extending principles introduced with single lights and simple objects earlier in the book. Black and white illustrations are chosen to demonstrate the principles discussed in the text, and are not the typical glitzy collection of the author's favorite photos.

I have the 2nd edition, about 10 years old. The table of contents on Amazon for the new edition appears to have only minor changes including, addition of a short section in the Introduction discussing digital versus film, and the apparent removal of the last chapter that discussed flash meters, filters, continuous lights versus strobes, and also items like light stands, reflectors, soft boxes, etc.

I first read this book after having been involved in various types of photography for over 30 years. I learned or re-discovered much useful information, and often browse the book for ideas when confronted with lighting problems. Recommended.