Important question - model releases

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Voyager1968, Jul 20, 2008.

1. To those who shoot youth or other non-professional sporting events, do you need to get model releases before you put the photos up for sale on the web, ie Smugmug, EM, Zenfolio, etc. I've been thinking of doing the web sales, but I never really thought about a model release since it's in a public environment where photography can be reasonably expected. Any help is appreciated.

2. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    No, you don't need releases to do what you intend to do. Releases are only required for commercial use (advertisement and/or promotion of a product or service). What you are doing is considered editorial use.
    Of course, if you intend to use a few of the images to promote or advertise your services or website you'll need a release for those shots.

3. Is that a US-wide law?

Reason I ask, is that in Ontario, you don't need model releases for anything. In other provinces though, that's not always the case.

4. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Yes.
    I've seen that it is different in Canada, but since the OP is from PA I didn't think to mention that.

5. Oh, I was just curious if it's a US-wide thing, or just a state-by-state basis. Geez, Canada makes things easy for us.

6. Adrian,

If you use the shot for commercial purposes, you should have a model release in Canada as well.

7. Should, yeah. But, at least it's not required by-law here.

8. Thanks, Dave. These are going just be for the family members and friends of the players I shoot at a particular game or match.