Imposing cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

The Cathedral of Santiago, built back in 1077 has been one of the most important pilgrimages in the whole Christianity. Pilgrims from all over the world gather in Santiago. It is situated in Spain, 80 miles north from Portugal. I´ve been there again, some days ago and took some pics to share in the Cafe:

The cathedral at dusk:
93681513.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

from another side:
View attachment 163997

inside, during a religious service:
View attachment 163998

as seen through the narrow medieval streets:
View attachment 163999

the main square, before the Cathedral:
View attachment 164000

sculptures and churches everywhere:
View attachment 164001

a wide view of the Cathedral:
View attachment 164002

Another curiosity (but I have not been allowed to shoot at) is the silver plated censer, weighting 80kg and measuring 1,60m in height.

Definitively, worth the visit!

Rui

SB-600, TC Kenko Pro300 1.4, Manfrotto 190MF4+804RC Head
===
www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Very nice Rui. The first shot got me thinking.... I was wondering since the upper half is so dark, if a 1 or 2 stop soft GND used upside down might balance out the lower and upper parts.

great shots Rui
I have read a couple of books on the pilgrimages there
and now I see why...beautiful

My step-mother grew up there. I went over the summer and it is as gorgeous as your photos. Unfortunately, my step-mother rushed us through to get to the restaurant in time for lunch and I didn't get to spend too much time at the Cathedral. Supposedly, St. James' (Iago) remains are in the Cathedral. A recent DNA test on the remains found them to be that of a lion, I think.

I'll have to go through my pictures and see if I have any worth posting here as a second view.

Rui, those shots are awesome, especially the 1st four.
Thanks. That one was taken using a single monopod. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had my Sb-600 on the camera and two seconds after the shot, it hit the floor:mad: Fortunately, I only had to replace the lamp...

Very nice Rui. The first shot got me thinking.... I was wondering since the upper half is so dark, if a 1 or 2 stop soft GND used upside down might balance out the lower and upper parts.
Good point! Something I need to remember and try in the future!

Great shots, I really love the first one..
Thanks. I'm glad to know that.

Gorgeous Rui. You're going to all the places I have on my list!
Thank you. Santiago should be on everyone's list!

one word. WOW
Thanks!

great shots Rui
I have read a couple of books on the pilgrimages there
and now I see why...beautiful
They come from all europe and at least in Portugal, France and of course Spain, it is very common to see some walking hundreds of miles to get there.

A 'sacred' spot long before Christianity........ beautiful shots
It's true. Thanks for the comments.

Great shots. I especially like the night shots.
Those are also my favorites.

Great shot Rui!
Thanks. You are always very kind

My step-mother grew up there. I went over the summer and it is as gorgeous as your photos. Unfortunately, my step-mother rushed us through to get to the restaurant in time for lunch and I didn't get to spend too much time at the Cathedral. Supposedly, St. James' (Iago) remains are in the Cathedral. A recent DNA test on the remains found them to be that of a lion, I think.

I'll have to go through my pictures and see if I have any worth posting here as a second view.
The local religious authorities claim that in fact the Santiago remains are there. I didn't know about the DNA test, though.. I'l try to ask there in a future visit...

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you liked it.

Rui

===
www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Hi Rui,

I am not trying to "steal" your thread here, but Nan & I were there in 1999 as tourists, not as pilgrims. We were able to photograph the censer being swung and you or others might like to see what it looked like. It might also help you plan your shots for a future visit.

I'll post some poor film shots that were made by rephotographing prints. (I'll gladly remove them if you ask) The censer is called the Botafumeiro and is swung by eight monks pulling on the rope.

Here it is hanging over the altar before being swung:
261899326_TWStW-L-1.jpg

I have moved over to the side part of the cathedral (the left side in Rui's 3rd shot) and they have lowered it for lighting. The eight monks pull on the rope to the right:
261897941_tpKnK-L.jpg

One monk gives it a push and the other eight amplify the swinging by pulling up and down at the right times:
261898066_Dma2H-L-1.jpg

While raising the censer at the same time:
261898379_VQwiz-L-1.jpg

261898640_gvY83-L-1.jpg

After a short time, it is swinging all the way up to the high ceiling of the cathedral, almost directly over my position:
261898939_FMvnt-L-1.jpg

And across the cathedral from my location:
261899076_gBTgj-L-1.jpg

Not so easy to shoot, especially in the old Nikon 6006 film days.

I understand that over the centuries the rope has broken several times, killing several worshipers.

Bob & Nan

Hi Rui,

I am not trying to "steal" your thread here, but Nan & I were there in 1999 as tourists, not as pilgrims. We were able to photograph the censer being swung and you or others might like to see what it looked like. It might also help you plan your shots for a future visit.

I'll post some poor film shots that were made by rephotographing prints. (I'll gladly remove them if you ask) The censer is called the Botafumeiro and is swung by eight monks pulling on the rope.

Here it is hanging over the altar before being swung:
261899326_TWStW-L-1.jpg

I have moved over to the side part of the cathedral (the left side in Rui's 3rd shot) and they have lowered it for lighting. The eight monks pull on the rope to the right:
261897941_tpKnK-L.jpg

One monk gives it a push and the other eight amplify the swinging by pulling up and down at the right times:
261898066_Dma2H-L-1.jpg

While raising the censer at the same time:
261898379_VQwiz-L-1.jpg

261898640_gvY83-L-1.jpg

After a short time, it is swinging all the way up to the high ceiling of the cathedral, almost directly over my position:
261898939_FMvnt-L-1.jpg

And across the cathedral from my location:
261899076_gBTgj-L-1.jpg

Not so easy to shoot, especially in the old Nikon 6006 film days.

I understand that over the centuries the rope has broken several times, killing several worshipers.

Bob & Nan

Thank you so much for so useful and complete information. Yes, I was aware of the name "Botafumeiro" which in a very straight translation would mean "throw smoke". However, I didn't know about the incidents when the rope broke...:eek:
Now, you did a fine work getting these images back at the film era! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Wonderful set, Rui. Very striking images.
Thank you Dave.

Very vibrant colors in you images. Thanks.
Thanks. I am glad that you liked them.

Rui

===
www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Hi Rui,

Glad you liked those old shots. I hope you will be able to shoot this scene in the future and that you will post them for us!

The 18-200VR and the D-300 ability to handle higher ISO should make it a lot easier that the Nikon 6006, a 28-70 maybe f3.5-4.5 lens and probably 400 speed film that I was using. I got lucky in standing at the right place as I had only a minimal explanation of what was going to happen. Our guide just said stand here and it will swing this way.

Bob & Nan

Nice captures and compositions... just wonder if you have them in B&W...just like in the old encyclopedia

Your virtual tour makes my feet get itchy every time... but my wallet is not that supportive :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom