Impostor!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Nancy and I visited the beach town of Ogunquit, Maine during our holiday. We took a long walk on Marginal Way - a walking trail that parallels the beach, and I grabbed a few seascapes.

Then I spotted some flowering plants that were attracting a flock of winged insects.

View attachment 16345

View attachment 16346

A Monarch fluttered by...
    View attachment 16347

I thought I had found another, but on closer examination, it was a moth masquerading as a Monarch... an impostor.

View attachment 16348

View attachment 16349

View attachment 16350

All the above were taken with The Beast.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Great images Frank, love them all...
    However, it seems to me that the beach shot is a bit washed out...
    Maybe the autoWB didn't work this time... :wink:

4. Beautiful pics Frank!

I think an imposter is Vanessa cardui, Painted lady in english(?)...

5. Hey Frank, thanks for posting all these images. You have been busy in the macro areana. Well done.

6. Good catch, Jukka! I received the following message from a naturalist on another forum:

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Very nice photos Frank. There are several butterflies that resemble the Monarch (including the Viceroy and a couple of different painted ladies). One of the best sources for identifying insects is the cirrusimage site -- they have catalogued over 3500 species with excellent photos. [It's also a site designed for easy navigation.]