Impressed With GF Lightsphere

Discussion in 'People' started by Jeff Fillmore, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Took the Gary Fong Lightsphere to a wedding I was a guest at last weekend- I kind of liked the results. Here are a few from the reception- All shot w/ D80 + 28-70/2.8 & SB-800.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    The lighting is nice. Nice shadows. Seems like most shots are underexposed.

Mike

3. Thanks- they may be a bit dark but I was trying to maintain the feel of the event- which was a night reception and if anything probably even darker than it looks here.

4. Actually I thought they were a little warm. What was your WB set to and by any chance did you use that amber dome?

The GF's are great for anything with 15 feet but the falloff is tremendous. Still I think they do a good job of helping maintain that romantic feel at weddings.

5. Yes I did use the amber dome- as lighting was incandescent (or so I thought) - I was a little frustrated by the WB- I shot in RAW / Auto WB - but when I went to adjust to Tungsten in Lightroom they all turn very blue- way out of wack. So I left them as-shot but your point is well taken I think they are pretty warm.

6. Yea I have the same set up and when you use the amber dome you're supposed to set your WB to tungsten I think. I pretty much made the same mistake. It's been so long since I watched that video that came with it.

Have you tried lowering the temp gradually?

Don't be too hard on yourself, I still think they have a romantic feel to them.

I recently pulled the LS2 out again to use on a second body that I didn't have a flash bracket for. I think GF was full of it when he said you won't need to use a flash bracket anymore. You still get unpleasant shadows on the vertical pics, at least I did.

7. Yeah- I went thru them in Lightroom and kind of hand picked the bad ones and made some manual adjustments. Probably just did not correct them enough. -Thanks.

FWIW- I also notice that the exposure looks worse here at work on my laptop than at home on my calibrated monitor- especially the 3rd one.

8. Good shots and the people are beautiful. Yes they are a little warm but that would be easily fixed in PS if you choose to do so.

9. Yep - I really like the LS. I definitely still use a bracket though.

What are you using for post processing? Were these shot in RAW? In ACR, you could use the dropper tool to select a white area of the image to set WB and "tweak" from there. Then, just use the settings from those images in the ones where you don't have a white sample. It should be a fairly easy fix for you.

10. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Better yet, use it off-camera for a softbox effect.

11. Jeff, I love them all, but I also see a little WB problem and a levels adjustment needed...here's your posted shot and my edit. Hope you don't mind. Altered the WB in PSCS3 ACR and did a quick levels adjustment.

[​IMG] 199577746-O.