1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Impressionistic landscape

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mike Buckley, Apr 10, 2018.

1. One hour after sunrise in Madikwe Game Preserve in South Africa near the Botswana border. I tried several things I've never done before, so your critique is especially welcome.

Mike 2018-03-29--0745-S.
    NIKON D7000    180-180 mm F2.8-F2.8    180mm    f/4.5    1/500s    ISO 140

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Nicely done...fog can turn an ordinary photograph into something extraordinary. It really makes this photograph. I like the panoramic cropping choice as well. Excellent work.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I agree with Glenn's comments. I think the OOF foreground balances the foggy upper portion of the image and adds to the feel of the image. The viewer's eye wanders around the image but goes back to the center of the image.

4. I like what you've done here Mike. For me, the image is similar to one that you typically see in older images in a geographic magazine from a bygone era. The fog and processing that you chose adds to the concept. Well done.

5. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Excellent! The fog does wonders for the scene, as does the perspective.

6. like it. Reminds me of something prehistoric,

7. Love it. I'm jealous! There is a great sense of mystery.

8. I agree with all of the above. A beautiful image Mike.

9. Thank you, everyone!

I wish I had a file with more depth of field that would make the foreground bushes a little sharper, as I wonder if a tad more sharpness in that area would be attractive.

10. I like this a lot better than the B&W photo you posted earlier. I think your treatment works well. To me, however, it lacks a real point of interest. I think I see a person under a tree near the center, but it doesn't stand out.

More foreground sharpness would also help.

11. Thanks, Jim! There is hopefully no person in the image, as the area is filled with dangerous, wild animals. I could eliminate the dead tree trunk that I believe is posing as a person to eliminate any confusion. I, like you, wonder if a tad more sharpness in the foreground would help.

12. davidw

davidw

Mar 2, 2013
    Sydney
    yes. this works well...

13. I like it as it is--the softness enhances the fog. The focus, if you'll pardon the pun, to me is the row of trees hiding in the bank of fog. The foreground shrubbery provides a counterpoint. I really like the different layers that are arrayed horizontally in the frame.

14. The fog makes one think some large animals are set to come onto the scene.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  15. Thank you to David, Allan and again to Nick!

I'll be more than happy to pardon you but only if you admit that you were drinking some really good wine. :D  Seriously, thanks so much for mentioning those trees. I applied the Dehaze tool to those trees to help them stand out a bit. I used some other tools to ensure that everything in between them remained without definition.

If I had not mentioned in my first post that this is a scene in a game reserve, I wonder if you would have thought that. Even if not, I have no problem with some photos being enhanced by a contextual explanation.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  16. Considering the discussion of what does or doesn't act as a point of interest, the markup shown below indicates the point of interest for me.

Mike 2018-03-29--0745-S.
    NIKON D7000    180-180 mm F2.8-F2.8    180mm    f/4.5    1/500s    ISO 140

17. It has an eerie mystical feel to this shot, I think the pano crop also makes this one work. I feel if one messes to much with a shot then it's not real.

“Individually you can pick holes in any photo you take, that’s the nature of photographers”: Timothy Allen

" Show a photo to 100 people and you get 100 different opinions"

Cheers

18. And if 1 of them is an economist, then you'll get 101 opinions. :cautious: 

Attached Files:

19. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Interesting comments about "point of interest" ;) . I've never understood the assertion that to be "good" a photograph must have a point of interest. Yes, most do, but sometimes the interest comes from how the image lets the eye travel happily through the whole scene. "Impressionistic landscape" is one such.

20. Thank you also to Alan and Bill!

And the 101st opinion will begin with, "On the other hand,..." President Harry Truman famously said he wanted economists that have only one hand.

Though I agree with you, this landscape for me isn't impressionistic enough in style to be totally successful without a point of interest, not that this image is totally successful, at least not in my mind.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.