Impressive Competition for Nikon

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by MParker, Apr 6, 2007.

1. I pulled the trigger on a D200 today. The choice was very difficult as my intention was to check out, and probably buy, the Fuji S5. I spent a couple of hours yesterday at my favorite camera store, Ace Photo, in Sterling, VA. I had heard (and so had some of the employees) that some Nikkor and some Sigma lenses wouldn't work properly with the S5 so I drug in several of my Nikkors and Sigmas. They all worked perfectly. On balance, the color fidelity, dynamic range, metering, and exposure control were simply superb. Shooting indoors in a variety of situations yielded perfect results every time. Since it it was the first one the store had unboxed, everyone there wanted to try it and the reaction was the same as mine. The staff keeps an S3 around for various uses and so they had some expectations I didn't and none of us were disappointed. It appears to be a real winner.

As I was chimping the results and comparing it to my D1X, an employee handed me a Pentax K10 with a 16-45/4 on it. The K10 has on board image stabilization and I must admit the results were so impressive I found myself considering it as a landscape camera or perhaps a dedicated camera for birds. Results generally equalled the S5 and it has a few bells and whistles that make it very attractive. This is a very impressive camera and I have alway maintained that Pentax glass is as good as it gets. Their MF lenses are unrivaled.

By way of some background, I am a lifelong Pentax fan. All my user film cameras are Pentax (K1000, ME Super (x3), LX (x2), 645, 67 II) and all my digital cameras are Nikon. I went with Nikon when the D70 appeared and I was not particularly impressed with the Pentax *ist D at the time.

When I left the store, my head was spinning with possibilities. As soon as I got home I went to DPReview and, using their side-by-side comparison feature, I looked at the S5, D200, and K10 again. I studied them for some time and then took a mental inventory of my Nikon glass vs my Pentax glass.

I decided on the D200 for these reasons (price was not one of them):
    1) the D200 has been around awhile and is a known quantity.
    2) the S5 is still very new and, impressive as it is, I'd like to see a little time go by and see some more information about it before I get one.
    3) As impressive and price competitive as the K10 is, all of my Pentax glass duplicates my Nikkors and Sigmas. That's OK but, good as it is, it's still redundant and not AF. If I rethink my equipment inventory I could probably make a case for selling selected lenses from each group and then get a K10 or two and begin using two systems.

2. Thanks for sharing this. I really like my D200, but that S5 is looking really tempting. I owned an S3 for while, but didn't like its responsiveness and ergonomics. I really liked its high-ISO capabilities however, and the color was nice - not necessarily better, but just different. Combining the Nikon D200 body with an improved Fuji sensor may be just the ticket. For me, the one thing still lacking in this package would be faster AF capabilities and better AF tracking - like on the D2-series bodies.

3. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    yea that pentax has always been interesting. I believe the S5 is not compatible with some of nikons MF lenses. Maybe all ai-s but may just be ai..its been a bit since i read about it.

4. I'm pretty sure that the S5 is like the D200 in that it can take ai and ai-s lenses with exposure metering in A or M.
    It's been a few months since I was looking at the Fuji literature, but I was seriously considering the S5 at the time.

5. I have gone with the S5 because it mainly gets used for interior real estate shots. Very impressed with dynamic range giving great balance between inside and views through windows, colours are usually spot on with variable lighting we get, the low noise is great with high ASA settings when you want a flashless shot.

6. Congratulations on your D200 purchase, Cameraguy!

I've always wanted to check out the D200 but have told myself not to even look at it, not to get my hands on it to play with it or I might just get the "Nikon Sickness" and buy it when I clearly don't have money for it!

By the way, I used to live in Frederick for 3 years and worked at MSD. Left the area in 1991. The town has certainly grown big since then!

Enjoy the D200!

Laura

7. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    That's my favorite camera store too! Even though I've only been there twice. :biggrin: I got both my first d70 and my first d200 there, from Elliot Stern. Very cool guy. I figure I'll buy my first d3h from him too. :eek:

8. Bet it was Elliot! :wink: Ace is sort of like the Cafe, lots of friendly sales folks and customers. It just feels good walking in there. Instead of twentyish part time knowledgeless sales people you get to speak with folks who actually know their stuff: Mo, the owner, Elliot and Shelly, and others.
    Very nice place.

Rich

9. Agree Rich! Elliot, Mo, and Shelly have become both friends and mentors, in that they always have something to offer besides hardware and service. When Shelly makes prints for me (bigger than my equipment can do), she always tweaks it for the printer and my intended use, and makes me look good. Mo is very tolerant, especially with me, as I tend to press him and the others with lots of questions before making a hardware purchase, since my roots are in Pentax. Elliot is a peach, what more can be said. We see eye to eye on many things and I respect his opinions.

10. Edward,
    It all depends on the type of photos you'll be taking. People and portraits go with the Fuji otherwise go with the D200.

11. D200 or K10D

MARK

I have both systems. I chose the K10 because of being a loyal pentax user. I also started the digital age with a nikon. I still have my k1000 and spotmatic. I have the f4 nikon 950 coolpix d100 and d200. I also have the Pentax ist*DL. My walk around setup is the K10D with a sigma 24-135 f/2.8 lens attached. I use the d200 for work. Boss does not want pentax to be used . I shoot sports and believe me you don't really need 5 fps if you know your camera. I have over 30 lenses for the Pentax and Nikon systems covering from 18mm to 1200 mm for both. Pentax feels more comfortable and for me has better ergonomics. IMO Pentax can do what Nikon can and do it a little faster. Glass is a toss up with Pentax being cheaper. Figure it out, all my Pentax lenses have sr, Nikon doesn't. I will get another K10 as a back-up. Tomorrow I shoot a wedding with the K10 and will have the D200 as a back-up. Just my 2 cents. You can keep the change. I sorry if I insulted anyone.

TedP

12. No, I can't see your insulting anyone. You have listed the reasons for your choice stating the criteria for each point. There are a number of assertions however which you can expect to see commented on; for example the fps remark. Your statement excuses your one camera's slower frame rate with the argument that if the photographer knows his/her camera they didn't need higher frame rates. This argument is tantamount to saying "if you were better prepared you wouldn't need crutches" and serves to nullify the obvious advantage of cameras (Nikon for example) with significantly higher frame rates. I suspect other sports photographers could take issue with that.

Additionally the comment about Pentax and Nikon lenses being a toss up. I don't see objective criteria for this statement. Stabilization on every lens is not the most important criteria with many shooters.

It's great that you are successful with your choice. Not every brand can solve all user needs. Let's see your work!

Thanks, Rich

13. rich
    I've tried but they haven't upgraded me yet.
    TedP

14. I don't understand your remark. Who are they and what is supposed to be upgraded? Then I can try to help.

Thanks, Rich

15. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Rich, I think he means his Nikon Cafe rating. I believe he needs more posts to be able to upload pictures.

16. Hmmm.. There is nothing in the software that I know of which restricts one's ability to upload images. Only yesterday a new member showed images on his first post.

Let me know. I'l try and help.

Rich

17. Rich,
    I haven't tried to upload a picture here, but the posting rules box at the bottom says "you may not post attachments", which I took as meaning I couldn't insert an image.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  18. Okay after I decided to go for a D200, you come along and give me good reason to get an S5... Woooooo the infamy :wink: :biggrin:

19. We have a unique way to attach images. Assuming you have a hosting site you paste that image's url with [​IMG] following it, again without spaces. Here's a thread on how to do it.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=53158

Note, including a colored link is quite the same: then the actual url followed by .

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017