Impressive Night Mode

Real Name
Ken St John
I've been considering upgrading from an iPhone XR to an 11 to take advantage of some of the better connectivity (such as wifi 6 as I have a new router that supports that standard). Of course, that also means the 11 has the improved camera as well.

Last night, I took this image of our front porch to see what happens during the "NightMode"
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I really did nothing other than hold the phone steady and snapped the image. I will have to admit it's very impressive.

However, the iPhone 11 goes back to T-Mobile today after less than 24 hours. OTHER than the improved camera, I can literally not tell a difference between the 11 and the XR in my usage. My download speeds, both on LTE and wifi, are essentially the same, and if there are any differences in the phone's operations (opening apps, swiping between screens, etc.), I certainly can't see them!!

The improved camera results are impressive, but I have a "real" camera to use most of the time. I see my iPhone's camera solely as a replacement for my "point & shoot" photography when I don't have my gear and for that, the XR's camera is plenty good enough!!

Maybe the 5G iPhone 12 will be a more substantial upgrade...

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Is the 12 going to be 5g?

Nice image though.
Allan

Everything I read is the 12, which will probably be on sale September-ish, will be 5G. The rumors I have seen are trending to a bit of a redesign with a thin metal edge kinda like the original iPhone, but with pretty much edge-to-edge display.

I must admit, for me both the design and the features will have to be pretty substantial to get me away from the XR. Looks like the biggest amount of change/improvement is heading in the direction of themulti-lens cameras and maybe AR support. Funny ... both of those areas have little to no interest for me!!

I was frankly surprised that aside from the camera and the software enhancements for images, the rest of the "improvements" in the 11 were totally invisible to my eyes.

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Cool shot
I just saw the night mode advertised and gave it a try, I hadn’t know about it
The 11 pro max is quite a phone
Randy

I didn't explore the "Pro" because it seems to me the tri-lens camera setup and the OLED display are the major improvements, and the so the Pro's added cost is just not worth it to me.

Perhaps it's my near 70 year old eyes, but I must have spent 20 minutes going back and forth between my XR and the 11 Pro & Pro Max and I'll be danged if I could see a significant difference in the display!! I know there are differences and all the tech writers love to expound on the better quality, but I just didn't see it!

I would certainly agree that the Pro-series phones are amazing. The extra screen size of the Max would be nice at times as well!!

Ken

Real Name
Randy
Randy

I didn't explore the "Pro" because it seems to me the tri-lens camera setup and the OLED display are the major improvements, and the so the Pro's added cost is just not worth it to me.

Perhaps it's my near 70 year old eyes, but I must have spent 20 minutes going back and forth between my XR and the 11 Pro & Pro Max and I'll be danged if I could see a significant difference in the display!! I know there are differences and all the tech writers love to expound on the better quality, but I just didn't see it!

I would certainly agree that the Pro-series phones are amazing. The extra screen size of the Max would be nice at times as well!!

Ken
I got it more for the max, I might have got a non pro max if they had one
the lcd is amazing and so is the bigger battery
the camera, with those lenses, is even more amazing and does a lot of things my D5 can't

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom