In A Quandry (Again) - Need Recommendations - UPDATE!!

I had planned to go full tilt and get all the lenses at once, but then decided to add gear as needed. And I tell you, I cannot wait to get back on the road again!
That is the wise approach, Lyndee! That is what I did last year -- I knew what my priorities were -- macro lenses -- and I chose those, and initially had planned on a general-purpose 24-105mm lens as well, but then the amazing 135mm f/1.8 kept singing its siren song to me, and while I was standing there in the store, that got louder and louder -- I suddenly said, "actually, I want the 135mm f/1.8 and will hold off on the 24-105mm for another time!" Boom! Brought home my three lenses, happy as a clam. I figured that as time went on, as I was using the camera, occasions would pop up when I'd be shooting and thinking, "I really could use a [fill in the blank] lens for this!" or, "Darn, I'd love to shoot that but none of my lenses are really suited to that type of scene or shot." Sure enough, one day I was standing out on the deck shooting the geese with my bridge camera that has the 1" sensor and the 600mm (35mm equiv) lens on it, and kept thinking, "I think I need to get a long zoom now to use on my A7R IV." A couple days later I made another trip to the store..... On other occasions I had a particular need (or desire) for a particular focal length or aperture and that would spur me to purchase the lens that had the specs. I've found this to be a good way of developing my collection rather than just buying this lens or that lens because it was the newest thing out on the market or because I saw a review of it or someone else's fantastic photos using one..... Interestingly enough, I have yet to buy that 24-105mm all-purpose lens!! LOL!

The new camera there in your eager hands yet??? Enjoy!!!!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I GOT IT!!!

...(and such a friendly FedEx man, too...all masked up and such... :D)

Behold...the box is so pretty, I don't even want to open it! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

YAY!!!!!! It's HERE!!!!! OK, Lyndee, open the box, get the manual out and set it aside, then fish out the battery and start it charging (is an external charger provided or do you have to charge it in the camera?) and while the battery is charging, start reading the manual! If it is like my Sony, you may have to go online and download the complete manual as the printed version is very skimpy, more of a basic "getting-it-set-up" guide. In whichever form it comes, READ THE MANUAL!!!!! :)

One thing I have done for years when I've bought a new camera is to make the first photo I shoot with it a photo of the box. Don't ask me why, it's just something I've always done! LOL! Then I use another camera or my iPhone to take a photo of the new camera sitting near or on the box. Only after that do I get down to business and begin really playing with the new camera (and lens, if I've gotten a new one with it).....

Don't read the manual. Instead, buy Thom Hogan's Guide.
Read the manual AND buy Thom Hogan's Guide!!! Also check online and see if anyone else has also written a manual or created a useful video or two demonstrating specific functions and features.

Also, I just took a look at B&H to see what is included with the camera and I see that it does not come with an external battery charger. My recommendation is to buy one of those, as Nikon does make one, plus a spare battery. Also, did you get a UV haze or clear glass protective filter for the lens?

I always read through the manual -- gives me something to do while waiting for a new camera with a new battery that I don't already have to charge! Actually, I sometimes download and review a manual or someone's book on a given camera prior to even making the purchase if it is something really new to me and not simply an upgrade to a camera body I already have. Last year, for instance, that was indeed the case, as I was starting all over with a new full-frame body and lenses from a system that was different from my previous experience. Even though I had used other Sony cameras I had not yet experienced their full-frame models and I (rightly) figured that there were going to be some differences between the A7R IV and my RX10 and RX100 cameras, not to mention different from my Nikon DSLRs.

After I've reviewed the manual or someone else's guide to a given model, which often can provide new and interesting information, I don't usually need to refer to any of that again and of course I do a lot of trial-and-error with the setup in the beginning, too, adjusting settings as I go along and use the camera more and more, too and see what works best for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom