In A Quandry (Again) - Need Recommendations

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Hello everyone,

Okay, so here's the scoop. For the past two years, I have been in a real photographic slump. It's been so bad that, in that time, I may have taken 10 photos, all with my iPhone. My visits into the Cafe were sporadic, at best, and ashamedly, I haven't even processed the images from my last overseas trip in 2018. As a result, I ended up getting rid of all my gear with the exception of two lenses - the Nikkor 50mm 1.8f and the Nikkor 28-105mm (I simply couldn't bear to part with them), and my tripod. I think I couldn't get rid of those items because in the back of my mind, I was hoping that I would want to shoot again.

Well...that time has come and I, at long last, now feel 'the spark'. Problem is, I have no gear. In the past month or so, I've read review after review and spoken with friends (whose recommendations are all over the place). Now I'm coming to where I should have started in the first place - the Cafe.

This is what I want (and my wants are few):

I want to stay with Nikon.
I want to be able to use the aforementioned lenses.
I want a camera with video capability.
I want a camera with a tilt out screen.
I would like in-body stabilization (if it doesn't, it's not a deal breaker)

Now, under normal circumstances, I would have simply paid a visit to the place of my birth and upbringing and visited the mothership of camera stores to handle and test new cameras prior to purchase. Alas, the state of New York currently has quarantine restrictions in place for those who live outside the tri-state area, so visiting, at this time, can't happen. As such, I am relying on you, my fellow Cafe members, to steer me in the right direction.

So...what say you? :)

Thanks in advance (and btw, I'm still loving my coffee maker...:D)

LLH

Probably the best option is the D780. The Z series are the only ones with IBIS right now (in the Nikon lineup) but they don't AF with AF-D lenses. D780 has a tilt out screen. The D850 is another choice if you need/want high resolution but the D780's sensor handles higher ISO's better (at least until the D880 comes out).

You're in a good place, Lyndee, being able to start over from scratch with only two legacy lenses. My vote would be to go straight to mirrorless with a Z6 or Z6 II. Either one will make excellent photos and can use your current lenses on the FTZ adapter.

The only reason to go to the Z6 II, in my view, is that it has two card slots and can use SD cards, which you probably already have lying around. The Z6 will require purchase of an XQD card and card reader.

If you do get a Z6 or Z6 II, be sure to spring for the native Z 24-70 f/4 S lens. It's a winner and will show you what the camera is capable of. With IBIS, your two current lenses will become image stabilized, which is nice. But the native Z lenses are so much better you probably won't use them much.

The Z series are the only ones with IBIS right now (in the Nikon lineup) but they don't AF with AF-D lenses.

That is correct, and something I failed to mention in my response. But if you get a Z 24-70S you won't want to use those old AF-D lenses. :) I speak from experience as I also have a 28-105 and a 50/1.8 AF-D.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Probably the best option is the D780. The Z series are the only ones with IBIS right now (in the Nikon lineup) but they don't AF with AF-D lenses. D780 has a tilt out screen. The D850 is another choice if you need/want high resolution but the D780's sensor handles higher ISO's better (at least until the D880 comes out).
Thanks so much; I appreciate the info!

You're in a good place, Lyndee, being able to start over from scratch with only two legacy lenses. My vote would be to go straight to mirrorless with a Z6 or Z6 II. Either one will make excellent photos and can use your current lenses on the FTZ adapter.

The only reason to go to the Z6 II, in my view, is that it has two card slots and can use SD cards, which you probably already have lying around. The Z6 will require purchase of an XQD card and card reader.

If you do get a Z6 or Z6 II, be sure to spring for the native Z 24-70 f/4 S lens. It's a winner and will show you what the camera is capable of. With IBIS, your two current lenses will become image stabilized, which is nice. But the native Z lenses are so much better you probably won't use them much.
That is correct, and something I failed to mention in my response. But if you get a Z 24-70S you won't want to use those old AF-D lenses. :) I speak from experience as I also have a 28-105 and a 50/1.8 AF-D.
Jim, I appreciate the advice, and I knew that you would chime in with a recommendation. Thank you so much!

What Jim T. said (both times).
What were you shooting with before?
Thanks!

I started out with a D80 back in 2008. Then I migrated to the D300 around 2010 and then onto the D7100, which I never got used to, around 2013. After that, I went mirrorless about five years ago or so, and purchased the Olympus EM-10.

I wonder if Nikon's Yellow Program, which offers free trial, being offered for the Z5 and Z50 would be a good way for you to at least determine if Nikon's mirrorless system will be a good fit for you even if you are seriously thinking of a different Z camera.

Be sure to clarify in your mind whether a tilting screen, as opposed to an articulating screen, is acceptable.

(and btw, I'm still loving my coffee maker...:D)

I'm grateful for that thread because that's where Richard mentioned the hot chocolate maker, which is the only item on my Christmas wish list.

Last edited:
. . .
I started out with a D80 back in 2008. Then I migrated to the D300 around 2010 and then onto the D7100, which I never got used to, around 2013. After that, I went mirrorless about five years ago or so, and purchased the Olympus EM-10.
The best advice, as always, is to try before you buy.

If you elect (topical reference here) to go with the Z6/Z6II/Z7/Z7II you'll be one of a long list of Cafe folks who have moved back to Nikon from Olympus. Most of the time I caution folks that image quality differences between cameras are often not that dramatic, but I think you will definitely notice a difference in quality with any of the modern full frame cameras compared to the EM-10.

Just to wet your appetite:
EM-10 vs Z6

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I suggest going to a "Z" something and the 24-70 S! LOL! While I dearly LOVE my D850...... I don't think you will regret going mirrorless. Don't let those 2 sentimental lenses hold you back!

Go Full-Frame Mirrorless, don't go back to a DSLR. You are in a good position, too, pretty much starting from scratch in terms of body and lenses, and that is advantageous in that it gives you the opportunity to really think about what you like and want to shoot and in what kind of conditions you like to shoot. Since you travel a lot (well, have in the past and will be doing so again once this pesky virus is out of our way!), lenses which will travel with you would be important. If you tend to spend a lot of time shooting one particular subject or type of subject/scene over others, both at home and away from home, that, too, can steer you in the direction of one or more lenses which would help you get the images you want. As I've mentioned on here before, I, too, went through a long period of not shooting much and then eventually beginning to shoot a little again and then began thinking about where I wanted to go with my photography once I had decided that the "spark" had indeed once again been reignited and I was ready to really shoot! I probably (over)analyzed everything to death, weighing pros and cons, this-against-that, before I finally made the decision! I had specific needs and wants in terms of lenses and this was a big factor in my eventual purchase of body and lenses, especially in terms of availability. Most of my Nikon lenses were older and either wouldn't work at all with the FTZ adapter or would only be manual focus with the adapter. That was not going to work for me. My eyes are too old to shoot reliably in manual focus! That was something which I took into consideration. Availability of the types of lenses I would want was important to me, too. I tend not to like messing with adapters and third-party lenses, I much prefer going all native with a body and lenses.

I didn't care one way or the other about video, or which way the screen tilts or articulates -- I've had my new gear nearly a year now and have yet to pull the thing out and experiment with either of those features! Since these are important to you, though, you will need to be sure that the new gear you purchase does include exactly what you want. I think most new cameras, both DSLR and Mirrorless, do include video functionality these days. You may be surprised that once you've got new gear that you'll be doing new things with it that you hadn't expected or going back and doing kinds of shooting from the past that you'd thought you had set aside..... Case in point: a few years ago I sold my Wimberley Gimbal to a friend, having sold the long lens with which I primarily used it, and figured that I probably wouldn't be doing the shooting-with-long-lenses-and-a-tripod-and-gimbal again.... So what happens? Yep, so I buy my new camera and three lenses last November and then one day a couple months later I'm out on my deck with the faithful RX10 IV "bridge" camera shooting the geese with it because it had the longer length, reaching to 600mm (equiv), and start thinking about how the new FF camera with its terrific resolution would probably get much better images with a nice FF long lens on it..... Another lens entered the household, the 200-600mm (fondly nicknamed "The Bazooka"). Well, it didn't take too long to realize that while I love the lens, it's also pretty awkward to carry around and is a bit too heavy to handhold comfortably. Tripod time! I had the tripod already. Ah, but another Wimberley Gimbal would be just the thing..... So I now can happily fire away at the geese, Hooded Mergansers, cormorants and Alfred the GBH right from my deck with the Bazooka mounted on the tripod and Wimberley. Works a treat! I also in the spring purchased a 100-400mm for walking around the lake, too, and it is much more manageable for handholding. I think it and my 90mm macro are my two top favorite lenses -- they are the two which have gotten the most use! So I kind of went off again in a direction in which I had not expected to go when making that initial camera purchase in November 2019. In that instance, too, availability of the lenses was a factor....

Anyway, good luck with your decision-making and eventual purchase of new gear! We'll all be cheering you on!

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing..... :) I told myself that since I was making this big change and a big investment in new gear that I bloody well better use it and use it a LOT. As it happened we were approaching the beginning of the new year and people were signing up to do a 52-Weeks project. Nick (Palouse) gently nudged me into thinking seriously about this and I thought, "yeah, this would absolutely be a huge motivator, ensuring that I will be shooting frequently, at least two or three times a week!" And that has worked very nicely for me, it has indeed been a motivating force, along with the sheer joy of getting out there with the camera or on a rainy day setting up a tabletop or shooting an abstract at home..... So we are now in the last lap, counting down the last few weeks of 2020 (we're shooting in Week 46 now) and I've been going strong this entire time! I'm pleased with myself for that because in the past I had tried a POTD and didn't complete it, just stopped cold one day and that was the end of it. THIS project I am going to finish!

So, Lyndee, when you get your new gear, think about signing up for the 2021 52-Weeks Project! It's a great way to really get to know and use your new gear and it's fun, stimulating and at times challenging, too!

Lyndee If you don't shoot bif or a lot of action sports a good used or new Z6 would be an excellent camera. With the ftz adaptor you could still use your older lenses, altho with manual focus. I agree that you would love the 24-70 f4 S lens. I wish you good luck.

I made the transition to mirrorless some 15 months ago, when I aded a Z6, two S-series lenses, 24-70 f/4, and a 50, f/1.4. I was blown away at the quality and the ease of shooting. It opened up new genre's of shooting to me(besides my landscapes). This summer I gave in and traded my D850 and beloved 16-35 f/4 for a Z7. Couldn't be happier. I kept my 70-200 f/4 F-mount along with my 200-500 f/5.6. The Z6 is essentially the same price as the new Z6 ii, but I am sure the market will soon deliver used Z6 and Z7 bodies for those entering the mirrorless stage.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
If I wanted to start out again I would get a Z7 (again) if I could afford it or a Z6 or Z5 if I wished to spend less or did not need to have the high pixel count. Picking up a demo Z7 was an expensive "mistake" for me. I knew it was only a matter of time and money.

I do not know what sort of photography you enjoy, but if you like to record your travels or just mooching around locally, the 24-200 is a brilliant lens to have. On a recent trip to Florence it was on my camera all the time except for a few shots with the 14-30, another brilliant piece of glass. For a short hike last Sunday I just used this lens on my Z7.

For travel I find the 24-70 a bit too short to cover the details I like to record.

Do not forget to get a deal with a FTZ adaptor to use your old glass. But I am afraid it will not get much use when you use the Z lenses.

Real Name
Randy
unless it's sports or wildlife I'd go Z6, AF accuracy alone is reason enough....then there's the wysiwyg in the EVF, for LS this is huge. The silent shutter is great for stationary birds and dogs

Latest threads

Top Bottom