In A Quandry (Again) - Need Recommendations

x100 on the Z6 if you want video. Go slow with lens acquisition however......there is a good sale happening now!!!!

I also recommend doing a theme/meme. I was in a bit of a slump too but participated in the October daily challenge. That really got me going again.
I see it it now, a couple of future CS': 1. Coffee, 2. shoes, :D

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I have had the Z6 for about a year and a half, and I love it. I haven't shot a DSLR since the D200 a decade ago, which left me cold and turned me off of photography for a decade or so. Then for several years I shot Fuji and warmed up to mirrorless. So I can't speak to the comparison with modern Nikon DSLRs. But when Nikon came out with the Zs, after resisting the temptation for a couple of seasons, I finally broke down. And I don't regret it one bit. Once I got used to the Nikon layout, I came to prefer it to Fuji's external shutter and ISO controls.

I love my Z6, coupled with the 24-70/4 most of the time, with the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 primes for low light. I have just two legacy Nikon lenses that work with the FTZ: 70-300 P and 28/1.8, but when I reach for adapted lenses, it's to MF Nikkors with the smaller and lighter Kipon adapter, since autofocus isn't available and focus peaking works well. Maybe you have some MF Nikkors; if so they work well with the Z6, and exposure isn't too difficult: you do get adequate metering and aperture/shutter priority, and "what you see is what you get." The Z lenses are better, but for me as an amateur it's fun to use the smaller, lighter legacies of the film days.

I'm late to the thread, but I would also add that I love my Z6. If it is similar in price, I would probably spring for the Z6ii. I also love my little Z50. Everyone here has given you great advice and I would just be echoing their sentiments if I wrote more. It will be exciting to have you back shooting with us again!!

Like others have posted, consider a Z6 or Z6 II and the Z 24-70 f/4 lens.

One thing I have never liked with Nikon DSLR's is their implementation of Live View, moving to mirrorless Live View is fantastic. Depending on your usual genre you may find using LV adds another level of enjoyment to taking photos. Good luck!

I just picked up a Z5 this week. Bought a used body from B&H Photo for a little over $1K USD (just do a search every morning until a body pops up). I also have an FTZ adapter coming from Adorama and I received a minty used MB-N10 battery pack from MPB today. No need for XQD and the buffer basically never runs out with cheap UHS-I SD cards (only shoots at 4.5fps)! Another option is a Z50. I'm seeing those bodies sell used for under $500 USD if you want a compact DX camera. You can also go all out and get a Z6II or if you want to try something different, Sony released the A7C which is the smallest FF camera with an EVF.

Tons of options for every budget!

Last edited:
We all get in a slump sometimes. All of us. I myself am kind of in one now.
I am a strong proponent that your equipment will not change your art. At the same time sometimes new equipment can give you a spark!
It doesn't change how we shoot, but it sometimes makes us play.
Mirrorless is different, and might give you that spark!
There is the old saying, that even people that fall flat on their faces, at least were moving forward.
Just go shoot.
Gary

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I wonder if Nikon's Yellow Program, which offers free trial, being offered for the Z5 and Z50 would be a good way for you to at least determine if Nikon's mirrorless system will be a good fit for you even if you are seriously thinking of a different Z camera.

Be sure to clarify in your mind whether a tilting screen, as opposed to an articulating screen, is acceptable.

I'm grateful for that thread because that's where Richard mentioned the hot chocolate maker, which is the only item on my Christmas wish list.
I'll check it out, Mike - thanks!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Option 2:

Make yourself a strong cup or 2 of coffee.
Get out all your shoes.
Ponder the meaning of life.
Repeat as necessary until you have a clear vision of the future!
After putting on a pair of black, patent leather stiletto slingbacks and drinking a nice cup of coffee yesterday, the vision is, indeed, clear! :ROFLMAO:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
No matter how much you love those old lenses, you need to accept that their days are over. Go with a mirrorless system and new lenses to match.
Alas, you're correct. Maybe I'll take a photo of them and mount the picture to the wall as a memorial to my two favorite pieces of glass. :D

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
My photographic interests are travel photography and landscapes - no portraiture, wildlife or BIF's. After reading all of your responses and doing a bit more outside reading, I think that the Z6 will fit my needs quite well. I'm also going to forgo the adapter and just purchase the native Z lenses; might as well start fresh...

So since I've been good extraordinarily good this year, the following is on my shopping list:

Thanksgiving - Z6, with the associated lenses.

Christmas - 2 pairs of shoes (thanks for reminding me, Nick and Connie! :LOL:) and a Vitamix blender.

New Years - a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

And that, folks, will blow my discretionary spending budget for 2020! :rolleyes:

Thank you all, again, for being so helpful. You have no idea how much I appreciate you all. As soon as the new gear arrives, I'll be sure to start posting again - I cannot wait! :D

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I would get the Z6 II with 24-70/4S kit lens. Stellar combination.
  1. Lets you use SD cards.
  2. Does exceptional video and still.
  3. Switch between video and still with the push of a button.
  4. Tilt screen.
  5. Full frame.
  6. IBIS.
  7. If you want a fast 50, they have a native Z 50/1.8.
It seems to check all your boxes, and the Z platform is where Nikon will continue to make most of their investments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom