In A Quandry (Again) - Need Recommendations

Since I’m blowing budgets and because I spent no money on travel this year, I’m going for the 14-30, the 24-70, and the 24-200.

If I’m going to be broke, I might as well be really broke, LOL! ???
Great choices! You will be pleasantly surprised by the full frame sharpness of those lenses. After the October challenge, I've had the 24-200 mounted. Perfect for walk around fall captures.

PS, get an extra battery or two!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Sounds like the Z6 II has some really nice features. Might as well treat yourself right and get the current model! You must have saved a lot of money this year by not traveling all over the world! :D

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Sounds like the Z6 II has some really nice features. Might as well treat yourself right and get the current model! You must have saved a lot of money this year by not traveling all over the world! :D
There’s a little change rolling around in the piggy bank. ? I would rather have spent it on travel, but since things are as they are now, might as well use it on something else. And, I think this is a good compromise...

I'm grateful for that thread because that's where Richard mentioned the hot chocolate maker, which is the only item on my Christmas wish list.
[/QUOTE]

Did you say hot chocolate maker??
How did I miss that thread?
Off to my Cafe search.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I used it last night. The "Hazelnut Praline", a new variety that is delicious. My collection also includes:
Orange
Salted Caramel
Caramel Latte
(As you can see I'm not so keen on the very strong dark chocolate varieties, but many people like those.)

Here is a quick snapshot of the wonderful machine with supplies...
20201112_123707m.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

US link: https://us.hotelchocolat.com/velvetiser.list

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I would hope that Nikon will offer some nice package pricing during December. Seems like late last December there were some pretty appealing offers.

I used it last night. The "Hazelnut Praline", a new variety that is delicious. My collection also includes:
Orange
Salted Caramel
Caramel Latte
(As you can see I'm not so keen on the very strong dark chocolate varieties, but many people like those.)

View attachment 1673813

Thank you Richard.
You answered my next question.
I appreciate the US link as well.
When viewing the products available I also wondered about the darker chocolates.
I don't feel they would be a favorite of mine either.

Current retail pricing, according to Thom Hogan:

• US$3000 — Z7 II
  • US$2600 — Z7
  • US$2000 — Z6 II
  • US$1800 — Z6
  • US$1300 — Z5
To me, the Z5 looks like the sweet spot. I don't see that the Z6 or Z6 II are worth an additional $500 or $700, at least for my photography which is similar to Lyndee's.

Yo, Lyndee! Put on your favorite pair of shoes, make your favorite cup of coffee and relax while you ponder Jim's comment and my response to it.

To me, the Z5 looks like the sweet spot. I don't see that the Z6 or Z6 II are worth an additional $500 or $700, at least for my photography which is similar to Lyndee's.

I never took the time to compare the specs until I saw your post. Now that I've seen that the two cameras are remarkably similar, I completely agree. For Lyndee's style of photography, the only advantages of the Z6 over the Z5 that I see are the following, and those two details may not be at all important to her:
  • Highlight-weighted and spot metering
  • Much higher monitor resolution
If Lyndee doesn't have any XQD cards and a reader, she would also have to buy them to be able to use the Z6, making the price difference even greater. She presumably already has SD cards that can be used with the Z5.

The ability to try the Z5 for free using Nikon's Yellow Program is icing on the cake.

Comparison of Z5 and Z6: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_Z5_vs_Nikon_Z6/BHitems/1578204-REG_1431706-REG

Last edited:
Note that neither chart comparing the two models mentions that both cameras have focus shifting.

Considering that being able to make videos is important to Lyndee, I wonder if the full-frame video available in the Z6 compared to the 1.7 crop in the Z5 would be important to her. That detail isn't mentioned in the B&H comparison of specs.

Orange
Salted Caramel
Caramel Latte

View attachment 1673813

Have you ever had Hot Chocolate from Angelina's in Paris?
20191015-10-19-22.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom