In A Quandry (Again) - Need Recommendations

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I used it last night. The "Hazelnut Praline", a new variety that is delicious. My collection also includes:
Orange
Salted Caramel
Caramel Latte
(As you can see I'm not so keen on the very strong dark chocolate varieties, but many people like those.)

Here is a quick snapshot of the wonderful machine with supplies...
View attachment 1673813

US link: https://us.hotelchocolat.com/velvetiser.list
That sounds delicious. I love a good hot chocolate, and can almost taste the chocolate based on your description! ?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Current retail pricing, according to Thom Hogan:

• US$3000 — Z7 II
  • US$2600 — Z7
  • US$2000 — Z6 II
  • US$1800 — Z6
  • US$1300 — Z5
To me, the Z5 looks like the sweet spot. I don't see that the Z6 or Z6 II are worth an additional $500 or $700, at least for my photography which is similar to Lyndee's.

Yo, Lyndee! Put on your favorite pair of shoes, make your favorite cup of coffee and relax while you ponder Jim's comment and my response to it.

I never took the time to compare the specs until I saw your post. Now that I've seen that the two cameras are remarkably similar, I completely agree. For Lyndee's style of photography, the only advantages of the Z6 over the Z5 that I see are the following, and those two details may not be at all important to her:
  • Highlight-weighted and spot metering
  • Much higher monitor resolution
If Lyndee doesn't have any XQD cards and a reader, she would also have to buy them to be able to use the Z6, making the price difference even greater. She presumably already has SD cards that can be used with the Z5.

The ability to try the Z5 for free using Nikon's Yellow Program is icing on the cake.

Comparison of Z5 and Z6: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_Z5_vs_Nikon_Z6/BHitems/1578204-REG_1431706-REG

Pondering while wearing my footwear of choice today. Thanks for giving me something else to think about! ?

55E267C3-8549-43C9-A88B-BD92D924EBC2.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Considering that being able to make videos is important to Lyndee...

Let me clarify and qualify this. What I should’ve said was that I want video capability for those times when I travel and want to make short snippets of the things I see. I’m not interested in making full length videos. It’s just for those times where I see something interesting, and don’t want to have to whip out my phone to record what I see. The video capability is a feature that I would use once in a while, not every day. So, with that taken into consideration, the Z5 is appealing. Thank you so much, Jim and Mike for the additional information!

?

That’s because they’re brand new. I buy a new pair of Dearfoams towards the end of every year as a treat to myself. Sooo comfy! ?

I am usually able to get through two winters with a pair of Haflingers, but usually do order a new pair at the beginning of the second season just to be sure I will have something in case the current ones do develop a hole somewhere, stretch out beyond the point where it is safe to walk in them, etc., etc. That reminds me, I haven't actually done that yet this winter (probably because it hasn't really felt like winter yet!)....I have a brand-new pair on standby that I got last winter, and from the looks and feel of the ones on my feet right now I have the feeling I'll be parting with them sooner rather than later and moving to the new standby pair.....

Thom Hogan has a couple of discussions on his site about shortages and out-of-stock items in the Nikon lineup:

As I posted yesterday, I expect a lot of items to not be in stock for the full holiday shopping season, and this is going to cause a lot of buyer consternation, especially if you don't know how your retailer is going to deal with that. My recommendation still stands: if something you want is in stock at your dealer, strongly consider buying it while it is.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Thom Hogan has a couple of discussions on his site about shortages and out-of-stock items in the Nikon lineup:

As I posted yesterday, I expect a lot of items to not be in stock for the full holiday shopping season, and this is going to cause a lot of buyer consternation, especially if you don't know how your retailer is going to deal with that. My recommendation still stands: if something you want is in stock at your dealer, strongly consider buying it while it is.
I wonder if that’s one of the reasons why I haven’t seen too many things on sale at this time?

Well, there ARE other brands besides Nikon, too..... Does this shortage and limitation of items being available apply to all camera brands, or only Nikon?

He continued:

But Nikon's not the only ones with new inventory issues. The Canon R5 isn't generally in stock at the moment and will probably remain in short supply through the end of the year. Like Nikon, some of the RF lenses are in short supply, too, and kits aren't always available due to the lens availability issues.

Fujifilm seems okay with X-T4 bodies, but the GFX 50R, X-T3, X-T200, and recently introduced X-S10 are backordered, and I'm also seeing more of their lenses not on the shelves, too.

Sony's latest cameras aren't on shelves, let alone in quantity, either.

He continued:

But Nikon's not the only ones with new inventory issues. The Canon R5 isn't generally in stock at the moment and will probably remain in short supply through the end of the year. Like Nikon, some of the RF lenses are in short supply, too, and kits aren't always available due to the lens availability issues.

Fujifilm seems okay with X-T4 bodies, but the GFX 50R, X-T3, X-T200, and recently introduced X-S10 are backordered, and I'm also seeing more of their lenses not on the shelves, too.

Sony's latest cameras aren't on shelves, let alone in quantity, either.

Thanks, Jim! Answers my question....! I would guess that in some ways it is not surprising because the pandemic has wreaked havoc in so many ways, and of course would affect manufacturing and distribution, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom