In-Camera enhancement show in Lightroom 2?

So what happens when you shoot RAW + JPG and import into Lightroom 2? I remember way back that 3rd party software cannot see Nikon in-camera enhancements. I assume viewing the JPG in Windows, one will see the enhancements. What about when using Lightroom? How does lightroom load RAW+JPG setups and will the enhancement's be set / available for post editing?

There are options for the handing of raw+jpeg files. You van treat them as separate files or the jpeg can be treated as a sidecar file and hence not visible but linked.
LR will not read the in camera adjustments for raw files however the exposure setting will be visible in the metadata. The raw file will have and accept whatever adjustments (upon import or later) you make as will the jpeg.

Geoff... the OP is asking if LR will display jpg files the same as if they were displayed in any other image viewer, such as Windows Photo Viewer, with in camera settings applied.

Yes.

Thanks Ron..... jpegs are processed so will display in LR similar to the camera however that can depend on any settings you apply on import. To see them as close as possible as they are on the camera apply the Zeroed preset upon import (Don't use None as that applies default settings). For raws you would want to apply the None setting.

Real Name
John
So what happens when you shoot RAW + JPG and import into Lightroom 2? I remember way back that 3rd party software cannot see Nikon in-camera enhancements. I assume viewing the JPG in Windows, one will see the enhancements. What about when using Lightroom? How does lightroom load RAW+JPG setups and will the enhancement's be set / available for post editing?

The raw file has the original camera settings embedded and the preview exists as a jpeg since raw data has no color. The original settings will stay in the raw file, but they will not be displayed when you open the file in Lightroom.

Thanks for all the feedback but I am still missing something. If there is a RAW + JPG file, I know lightroom will only show 1 image. I have also read that the JPG is used as a preview but when you start developing the image, wouldn't begin the process of "applying" post processing to the raw image? So how can a JPG be used for Previewing but when you develop the image, it changes only the RAW file? Not sure if I am explaining that right.

Also, I do noticed there is a slight difference between when the image is loaded up and a split second later, the image goes darker. This must be LR loading the JPG first, then showing the RAW file afterwards?

Latest threads

Top Bottom