In-camera image number duplications

I was just downloading some photos taken by my wife yesterday with her D5100. I found two subfolders under DCIM: 100D5100 and 101D5100. No surprise there, as I've seen this many times before.

But what was a surprise is that there are duplicate image numbers within those subfolders. In order to avoid overwriting files I had to put them in separate folders on the computer. To be more specific, in 100D5100, images numbered DSC_9663 through DSC_9873 were found. In 101D5100, there were DSC_9818 through DSC_9896. Note the overlap.

Has anyone else seen this? how can I prevent this happening again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is correct. It increments the folder number when it reaches 9999. You should rethink how you organise your folders. Or rename them all when you import them. There are infinite options according to taste.

You may be wondering why the numbers in the new folder were not all small numbers. The reason is that the camera can't track all your memory cards. So the reason is that she swapped cards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is correct. It increments the folder number when it reaches 9999. You should rethink how you organise your folders. Or rename them all when you import them. There are infinite options according to taste.

You may be wondering why the numbers in the new folder were not all small numbers. The reason is that the camera can't track all your memory cards. So the reason is that she swapped cards.
But the numbering never reached 9999 in either folder, and she never swapped cards. She has a single 16GB card and no others. She did swap to a fresh battery at one point.

You can try assigning different text characters for each folder instead of DSC_ for everything.
For example, on my camera, when I'm shooting birds, I have the naming convention in-camera start with WLD_#.
For anything else nature related; NAT_#.
Both are separated by folder numbers in-camera.
I know somewhere in my archive I probably have duplicated values already but I'm not worried because they're all in separate folders anyways.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try assigning different text characters for each folder instead of DSC_ for everything.
I assume you mean while downloading, as the D5100 does not permit changing the file name when recording.

I have no problem when downloading. I would just like to understand why this happened and to know when to look for it in the future.

I assume you mean while downloading, as the D5100 does not permit changing the file name when recording.

I have no problem when downloading. I would just like to understand why this happened and to know when to look for it in the future.
Ah, I didn't know that the D5100 can not do this.
I was looking through my D40 manual and it acts similarly when it comes to file names in-camera.

Here's what the manual says:

File No. Sequence:

On: File numbering continues from the last number used after a new folder is created, the memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is inserted. If a photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created and file numbering will begin again from 0001.

Probably the same for D5100?

File No. Sequence:

On: File numbering continues from the last number used after a new folder is created, the memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is inserted. If a photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created and file numbering will begin again from 0001.

Probably the same for D5100?
Yes. But as I described above, it didn't appear to follow that procedure in this instance, as neither folder reached 9999, and there are duplicate file numbers in the two folders.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom