in camera settings Vs NX2 settings is there a differance?

so if i take a low light shot at 0 sharp it doesn't have much noise, but its not sharp, to sharpen it makes a lot of noise

but if i set the camera at sharp 5 or 6 a get a more sharp picture with noise

also what about in camera NR? vs adding it with NX2 (how do you adjust this in NX2?

what about in camera ADL vs using NX2?

are they the same thing or not?

i usually leave ADL and NR off to maximize the frame rates

also i don't notice a frame rate drop with those off and with auto ISO on :confused:

Wow. You asked a mouthful.:smile:

I'll answer the easy one, here: Active D-Lighting in-camera and D-Lighting (in-camera or in NX2) are not the same. I shoot with ADL on to help protect highlights. Sometimes I turn it off in NX2 to improve the picture--yes, I don't always like what it does to the image.

Some of these in camera settings, especially NR and ADL will cause NX to open images slowly. In camera noise reduction appears to be the same as the "faster" NR in NX. From my point of view, having at least the correct picture controls and other basic settings cuts down on the amount of work to be done in NX. This is pretty important as NX is slow on batch processing.

I see

I turn off ADL in camera after i seen that in NX2 you can select only the area you want ADL to affect, and not the hole picture.... i liked it much better this way but them i got to thinking. .

If you don't have it, get a copy of Jason O'Dells eBook and very thoroughly read the sections on Noise Reduction and sharpening after NR. The short version, you want to do NR very early in your workflow and sharpening after NR is quite different.

My personal opinion is that you get better results working in NX2 than in the camera. My first step in processing is to turn off all in-camera settings, I dod this with a .set file, and work from there.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom