In-camera sharpening

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fotographik, Apr 5, 2007.

1. I'd like to get some input from you guys/gals:

Would you use the "Image Optimization - Sharper Image" (in-camera sharpening) or is it better to leave that option on "Normal" and do the sharpening in post-production (Photoshop)? Can the in-camera option have any adverse effect in image quality, etc.?

2. jaymc

jaymc Guest

It all depends on the quality of your post-production software vrs the time saved not to do it in post-production.
    BTW, I shoot in RAW - therefore, I set sharpening to max so I can better check the quality while chimping. Then in post-production, I change it back to normal and go from there.

- Jay

3. Thanks for the input Jay.

It never dawned on me that I could simply switch it back after the fact.:redface: I also shoot in RAW and use a combination of NC4 and PSCS2 for the post-processing.

4. Hi Fran├žois (alias Frank :smile: ),

Since I always shoot in Raw, I set in-camera sharpening to none. Why? 1st reason is if my images appear sharp (not tack sharp of course) and detailed on the camera LCD, I'm sure it will be tack sharp after post-processing.

The second reason is that I like to have complete control over the sharpening process. For that, I must do it in post. Since I do the sharpening in post, why bother to set in-camera sharpening.

5. Hello Dao Dang,

That's a couple of good arguments you have there. Thanks for your input.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I used to feel the same way but have decided to set my camera to standard sharp when shooting Raw. Why? I can check sharpness in the field. Then when converting the raw to TIF, I select 'No sharpening' and then do it manually in PP. Best of both worlds that way.

7. I set mine to "none" as well on both my cameras. I agree with the above post where it was said that if the image looks good in the field with no sharpening, I know it will look great after PP work has been done.

However, that being said, I think if you shoot in RAW, it really doesn't matter. You can always change it in NC4 or NX.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I set it to normal. Shoot raw , can adjust in PP
    NC4.4.2

9. Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. Look's like I'll be setting my camera to do no sharpening and do it myself in PP.