In honor of my Mother, Sylvia Goldberg...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backdoctor, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Some of you who know me knew my mom was very ill for a while. On March 9th 2007 she lost her battle with Gastric Cancer and passed away with her family around her. Her cousin Jerry flew in and was picked up by his brother Alfred and got to see her that day. Her other cousins Larry and Alvin came a day late, but stayed for a memorial service where they did a great job of eulogizing her. She loved her family, her country. She served in WW II and was very proud of that. I found many old family photos, including my grandparents wedding photo from 1919. I also found a couple of mom when very young.

Here is one I took a photo of, but later had restored and scanned:
    original.

Here is one that was badly damaged, and cost a lot to restore. She must have been in her late teens or early 20's:
    original.

Her grandchildren knew her as Grammy, and great grandson called her Grape (we told him its great grandma, but he got grape grandma). They dont remember her when young and vital.

My sister worked at The Raptor Trust in NJ and she would visit and volunteer. She loved that place. We asked at her memorial that in lieu or flowers to send a donation in her honor to The Raptor Trust, they do fantastic work. She had a military honor guard at her interment a week ago Tuesday. If anyone who knows me would like to do something nice, a donation in her honor would be fine. I realize most here really dont know me, I have not been active due to so little time, for the last two years I have been trying to take care of her and dad. I spent the last month of her life going to the hospice and nursing home, twice daily to help take care of her.:

http://www.theraptortrust.org/

Anyhow, that is why I have been so scarce of late. Dad lives with me now, and my free time is much less. I did take dad to Viera and met Harry, Linda and Gale for a shoot and dinner. Here's one from that visit.:

original.

Regards,

Harris

2. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Wow Harris -- what a wonderful tribute to a very wonderful (and beautiful) lady! My thoughts and prayers are with you, your dad and and your family on your loss.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Harris,
    I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Our condolences,

4. I am so sorry to hear of your loss Harris. You are fortunate to have had your mother with you for so long. My heartfelt sympathies to you and yours.

5. My condolences Harris. Her suffering is over and she is at peace.

God keep you and your family,

Rich

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful images of Your Mom Harris
    Again my heart felt sympathys.
    How is Handsome Howard doing:>)) My pleasure to meet such a grand Gentleman

Thank you for the visit and also the pleasure to meet your sister as well
    Hope to see you again soon.:>))
    Love and Hugs

7. Hi Harry it has been some time since I have heard from you. Your post is a very nice tribute to your mother and what a beautiful lady she is. I am sorry for your loss and send my condolences. May God bless you and yours during this sad time for your all.

8. hi Harris==

Would that all mothers and fathers had sons like you.

PaulC

Small donation will be sent

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Harris, please accept my sincerest condolences during this very sad time. I know that your mother's spirit will last forever in your heart.

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Harris, I to am sorry to hear of your mothers passing. I am sure that she would be very proud of this tribute to her. I know you will miss her.

11. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Harris, I'm sure your mom is in a better place. The struggle with cancer can be so difficult. I lost my dad last year and I still think of him every day. I wish you and your family all the best.

haze

12. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    You have my sincere condolences, Harris. The photos and story of your mother are very cool. Wishing you the best.

13. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    My condolences

Harris,

I know it is tough but she is in less pain now. Our prayers are with you.

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Harris

My wife and I send our condolences.

As I become more of a believer that once we pass we still exist in some other dimension....your mom is without a doubt warmed by the fact that she has you and the rest of her family carrying on her memories.

15. RexRoy

RexRoy

Jan 4, 2006
    New York
    My deepest sympathy for your loss. Prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. My condolences.

16. Harris,

Very sorry to hear about your mom. From her photos (and knowing you) I can tell that she was very very special.

Regards,

Paul

17. My condolences to you and your family Harris. Sorry to hear of your loss...

18. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Our deepest condolences to you and your family. That was a really nice tribute that you posted for her with restored photographs. I am sure they will help cherish her memories.

Best Wishes.

19. Harris, my heart felt condolence on the passing of your mother. You and your family will be in my prayers.

20. Harry, I'm so sorry for your loss at this time. It sounds like she had a wonderful service, and indeed, a wonderful life!
    "Grape Grandma"... makes me smile. She looks and sounds like a wonderful woman.