In line for a D200 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elf_8, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Yes I have

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Not yet, but will soon

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. No, and I have no intention to

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. I've read so many threads here and there in which their author states they have pre-ordered a D200. As I am one of them, I just wonder how many we are, or are becoming.

2. I (was) first in line at my dealer.... But now i'm not in line at all.
    Just feel i'm better off staying with what I have.

3. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyones toes... But the more I looked at the D200 it was not the camera for me. That is not to say it (might) be a good camera.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Doug, That's reality. What might work for one, might not work for someone else. That's why there is Canon. *LOL* If the D200 isn't you're cup of tea, that's fine. As good as I see results with the D2Hs, it's not appropriate for what I do. I'd love a D2x, but don't have the cash, so the D200 will have to do. For me, it will be a step up from the D100 and it has some features I'll find useful. I hope Nikon does well with it.

5. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    I haven’t pre-ordered, but I intend to try and pick one up from the first wave of deliveries to retail/internet outlets. My D100 takes outstanding photos, but I am looking forward to a step up in the auto focus speed and accuracy department. I’m taking the gamble that the D200 will be a marked improvement in this area. I didn’t know how marginal the D100 was until my son loaned me his D2H---the D2H auto focus performance is absolutely in another league for sports action and birding. If the D200 makes up half the difference between the two I will be a happy camper.

Dan

6. Christian,
    I have read with interest everything posted here and on Nikon digital as well. it gets my blood pumping for sure and is laden with features that I like. Had Nikon released it prior to the D2X there is no question I would have pre ordered by now. I reached quite a bit financially to get the gear I now have but I am very happy with it and want more! As for now I will take a chance that I would not need a back up (likely will occur at Merritt III if It does) and look at glass and other accessories. I know how you must feel waiting for it and can not wait for your reports via images.
    Dave

7. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Certainly not a scientific poll. But any way you slice it, Nikon is going to have a huge success on their hands with the D200. I hope they've built enough. :smile:

8. I am "on the list" at my local Pro dealer here. Prior to this I have ordered my D1H and D2H over the Internet, as there was about a $500-600 difference in cost when tax was added in. With the D200, I expect maybe $100 difference or so.

For me, the D200 will replace my current D70. The main reasons are speed, better AF and the same control set as my D2H. For me this is a no-brainer, but the bigger question will be if I will replace my D2H with a second D200. Having already been in the position, when my D2H shutter broke in the middle of a Softball Tournament, of not having a backup, I won't shoot an event without one, and the D200 will be better for this with the D2H than the D70. Along with this the D200 will still be a camera, without the grip, that my wife can use.

The question of replacing the D2H will boil down to AF aquisition and tracking. Peter Bendheim reported that he found the AF to be very close to the D2X rather than the D70, which is exactly what I am looking for. The added resolution will be a huge help with shooting birds at distance, my cropability with the D2H is limited. I don't shoot that much at 8fps that the 5fps will be an issue, at least I don't think so, but that is the other big thing I will be testing when the first one arrives. Heck, I have missed "peak action" with 8fps, could probably still miss it with 20fps :wink:

9. I haven't pre-ordered and have no immediate plans to. I think I need to master the D70 first!

The one feature of the D200 I am intrigued with is improved high-iso performance, and there is not much objective data on this available yet. I'm in a wait-and-see mode, and will not jump unless there is a compelling reason to.

I voted the 3rd option.

10. papa85

papa85 Guest

I'm #1 on my suppliers list (Berger Bros) I have a wonderful D2H that serves my action shots to a T. Looked at the D70S but it is in a different league. The D200 is in the built quality of my D2H. The D70 with 6 megs. would probably be ok for extended cropping but then again 4 more megs of the D200 is that much better, at least in my mind. Only time will tell. All I've read and seen shows me that it will be a knock out of a camera. And at that price I can't pass it up.., Hate to wish my life away but :biggrin: I hope the 3 or 4 weeks will pass quickly.

11. If I would need a camera, it would be the D200 for me, no doubt (I cannot justify the cost of a D2x).
    But I have no need, since I am very happy with my D1x - great camera, great images.

12. Christian,

After weighing all the for and against with the D2x in mind, I take the plunge yesterday pre-ordering the D200 with its grip at my local dealer. I hope that my dealer gets enough units so I can have one before the Holidays (I'm fourth or fifth in his list)

With a D2X price, I can have a D200 (which features are very near to those of its greater brother) plus half of an used 200-400mm. :biggrin:

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm interested, but want to "wait-and-see", if for no other reason: first releases on any new camera tend to have flaws that are remedied in the next batch that get produced. And, I'm going to see how the 18-200VR behaves on my D70, and how it performs on the D200.....: :rolleyes:

14. ... and great photograpgher BTW !

15. I want to try the D200, but I don't need another camera.

So I persuaded my brother to pre-order one. :biggrin:

16. Our hopes are converging. I'm diving in for better AF performance than my D70, more pixel space for cropping (thus making me believe I have a longer lens :wink: ) and perhaps a better build for outside shooting.

17. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I almost put a deposit down on 1 tonight, but I decided to just wait.
    I am pretty sure I have enough money for 1, but I also need to make sure I have the money for my airfare and hotel for my vacation to San Francisco in Jan.
    I think my oldest daughter is going to by 1 of my D70's and my 28-200 Nikkor lens so that should be just enough for the camera and I think am good to go.
    The dealer I talked to has 2 completely paid for and 2 with $100 deposits, so if I were to give them money I would be #5 on their list, but since they have 3 or 4 more stores. Are they getting cameras for just the chain and they divide them between the 5 stores or are they getting several for each store? That was something that the salesman couldn't tell me and the manager (who I normally deal with was busy helping someone with a P&S camera.
    I am pretty sure I will buy 1 sometime in December if I can find 1.

18. I have... one preorder at Adorama, one at the local pro dealer (#6 on the list). Whoever gets one for me first....gets the prize. Both since the afternoon of day one.
    Really I think Nikon came to me in my sleep and asked what I wanted. It seems to me that everything I wanted this camera to have and more is in it at a lower price point!
    I'd say back in maybe September, or even August, I made a long list of possible spec contingencies, and ranked them in order of preference. To make a long story short, I'd nailed every spec in one of my top 2 out of the 5-6 contingencies for each. in fact, some of my optional ones were hit too. This is definitely my camera. I'll probably have two in another year or so.

19. I am still debating this purchase.

In January of 2006 I am hoping to sell off some very expensive professional hifi that I do not listen to anymore, and I might use use part of the money generated to buy this camera. BUT I really do want to know that the AF is better than the D2H. I also have a D70 but Pam is beginning to use this and therefore if I part exchange anything then it will have to be the D2H which I think is a very underrated camera that I really really like.

BW. Bob F

20. I'm sticking with what I have, the D2X and the backup D100 that the family uses when they want to shoot my stepdaughter riding and don't want shutterlag etc :)

I'm sure the D200 is a capable camera, given a choice at the time I probably could have gone for the D200 maybe.

You see there are lots of much better photographers here that have proven to me that it's not that much the camera it is the person behind the shutter that decides what the shot will look like and the quality of the shot. Flew, Uncle Frank and many others regularly provide sharper & more accurately exposed and focused shots then I do. And then they have better composition as well:)

We see great shots from 4 MP D2H's (and D2Hs's :)) and we will continue to do so. And one day I will learn how to get really good shots as well with both my D2X and D100. It is nice to have a place where others continually raise the bar so I can learn and get better.

That said - enjoy your new D200's looking forward to all the shots from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2005