1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In Memory Of A Mentor

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, Aug 10, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Everyone,

This is nothing more than a snapshot that I took of a statue that is in front of my firehouse in memory of Lieutenant **** Coley. He was my training officer, for a time my shift Lieutenant, a fireman's fireman and a cherished friend. He passed about 8 years ago at the tender age of 49 from two strokes. I was just out in front of the firehouse shooting whatever caught my eye and thought his statue might be interesting. Again, this is no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a neat statue that we cherish because **** was the best and all that he ever wanted to be was a fireman and I thought that I would share it with all of you,....

In Memory of Lieutenant Richard (****) Coley.....Godspeed....

47500571.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hello Paul,

Yep, the helmet and boots are quite oversized because the statue is of a young child that is wearing a firefighter's boots and helmet. The young man is saying to his Dalmation puppy, "Shhhh, don't bark or they might catch me". Lieutenant **** Coley was the best of the best and all that he wanted to do ever since he was a kid, was to be a firefighter. The artist that created this statue tried to show a child that was excited to be wearing a firefighter's gear. He is shown here with a Dalmation puppy since the Dalmation breed is often regarded as a firehouse dog...a fabled mascot of the fire service.

Thanks for looking Dave...........

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for posting the image of a nicely decorated firehouse, James. We do not have any pets in our firehouse, but the department used to have a Dalmation in the years that preceeded my career. I understand that the spirited pooch caused some problems with the neighborhood dogs and had to be given to a home elsewhere.

With regard to closing a firehouse, the firehouse that I worked in for my first seven years was sold and made into a bank. It is quite strange to drive by and think that we once slept there every third day.

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Its a shame that the station dog had to be re-housed, it would be nice to think that in the UK we could also do things like that.

I have been at Old Hill (Cradley Heath) Fire Station for 10yrs now. Although we dont know for certain that our station will close a recent overhaul of how the fire service class risk has meant a reduction in the numbers of fire engines available, its just that our station doesnt fit to well on the new cover maps :-(

I do have some photos somewhere of the station before it had a refurb, i`ll see if i can dig them out. Like all fire stations and fire houses many have seen lots of faces walk through and out of the doors and many have plenty of stories to tell. I hope that they left i plaque on the wall at the bank to remind people of what was there before.

Can i ask did they build you a new station or just close it and move you to another station?

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    When I started my career, our department operated out of three firehouses. I worked at a firehouse for seven years in which the property was donated by a land developer provided that a firehouse could be built in close proximity to his new homes which were located in the far eastcentral portion of our town. After many years of being in service, the location of this station was not truly suitable to our overall strategies to provide adequate fire and paramedic coverage, so we opted to sell the firehouse to the bank next door who promptly converted it into a drive-up facility. Ever since, we now provide service out of two firehouses. Back in the days when we had three stations, we only had fourteen people on duty...now with two stations, our staffing is twenty-one. From two stations, we staff two engines, one ladder tower and two paramedic intensive care units and one Battalion Chief.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Frank,

Nice pic, even better story. My heart is so with you guys. I've had two occasions where I needed you guys and you came through in spades both times. The first was a protracted situation involving hurst tools and a masterful job of a very complex extraction. I know more than most what an amazing profession you have chosen, and I for one have a very deep rooted appreciation for it.

So... thanks ever so much for what you do!

9. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Frank:

A fitting tribute to a fine man. I know the firehouse and the bank it is now........it did take some getting used to. Nice picture, too.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you Lisa and Steve, for checking out my image and for your kind words. I appreciate your thoughts very much.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,

I think you image just the way it is is a wonderful MASTERPEICE.

Thank you for sharing. And so sorry you lost such a great and devoted fireman and friend.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much Gale!

13. Touching story Frank. Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.