In Memory of Sydney, the Cygnet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Yup. I can't believe it. I took the long route over to the Islands today, figuring I'd get to the lagoon at sunset and get some nice warm, sunset shots of my baby and his parents. I paddle around the corner, and his parents are there, swimming around the lagoon. They're all over the place. I don't see Sydney so I start looking. Just outside the mouth of the lagoon, I see him. Some motorboat owner has used him for target practice. Either late yesterday or early this morning.
    This has broken my heart. I can't remember when I hurt this much. He was so full of life, he had attitude, and I was watching him grown into a handsome young swan. His parents were good parents, ever watchful. The boat got him in feeding grounds, NOT in the boating channel. I hope whoever did this got their ten second thrill at running down a little creature and ruining my year. His parents are distraught - they're searching and calling, obviously they hadn't seen his body, or realized it. I just can't believe this....
    I've buried him on the little island where I picnic, beside the nest where he was born.
    He was a good little guy.... and I never got to tell him about POTD...
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is sooooo Sad Sandi,

I am sooooooo sorry.

I know how horrible you feel.

3. Truly horrible, Sandi.

I feel for you. Things like this make you wonder how humans got to inhabit the top of the food chain.

Hang in there. Your caring is a wonderful counterbalance to the callous idiocy of so many of our species.

Best wishes,

David

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Sandi

I know fully well how you feel.....and at least in my instance it was an act of nature and not an act of some fool.

5. Sandi
    I am so sorry I know how you must feel, hope the idiot that hit him gets what is comign his way. You did the right thign by Syndey .

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Sandi,

Words can't explain the feelings that Leigh and I both have. We both hope that you find peace in this time of sorrow.

With Love,

Patrick, Leigh, Ryan, and Benjamin

7. Thankyou all for your kind support. You've shared my joys in capturing his sweet litte face. He's been so close to my heart - gave me a reason to race over there to see how much he'd grown. It was so much fun to watch his parents accept me to the point where they allowed him to come right up next to the kayak so I could feed him. I also took a ton of movie files with my little Canon, and at least I have those. I can still hear his little 'peep peep' following behind his parents, when I'd come into the lagoon and they'd see and come straight over.
    I still can't believe this... this can't happen to such a sweet, innocent little creature. All I know is that I'm a firm believer in karma and this will land on the person who killed him. Sometime, somehow, it will land.

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gee, Sandi -- I'm soooo sorry to hear about this. Hard to believe some of the things that people think are "fun". Just makes you sick.

Keep the memories of your encounters with Sydney - they will always be special.

9. Noooooooo! This is breaking my heart. :cry: I haven't been here long, but I've seen some of your posts about Sydney, and your POTD with him is just amazing. People disgust me sometimes...they truly do. I, too, am a firm believer in karma and that that which you put forth is returned to you 3 times over.

I'm so glad you were able to capture some movie footage of him...he'll live on in your heart forever ((((hugs from this non-huggy person!))))

10. Oh my! I'm so sorry Sandi! What a beautiful creature of this earth, to be taken away by the brutality and savagery of humanity.
    But through your work, there will always be a part of him in all of us.

11. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Sorry to hear that Sandi.

Something like that happened near my lake too. It's called Oakland Lake, a manmade lake which is roughly about a mile walk around. There are plenty of waterfowl that live there but only two swans.

There have been rumors that people have been coming into the park (extremely easy access) and taking geese and ducks for FOOD. It was gut wrenching to hear.

I used to go there a lot b/c I'd fish, and I noticed the two swans that lived there had two babies! It was the cutest sight ever, the babies following their parents around. I watched them grow like you did and I became fond of them. About three months past and the two baby swan were no where to be found. I can only imagine what had happened.

A year later, the two swans also disappeared.

There is no other place for the waterfowl to go to, there are no lakes/oceans within a 25 mile radius. Though I do sincerely hope deep inside that they flew away somewhere else, I doubt that really happened.

I'm sorry it had to happen to you too Sandi--I know how it feels.

12. Sorry to hear about what some cruel person did. Sandi, at least you still have a fantastic picture to remind you of how handsome he was. Hope you will feel better soon.
    Pete

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's just awful. I can't say what my thoughts on the person who did this are because this is a family oriented board.

14. I'm so sorry... :-(

It's one of these moments, that you just want to take order in your hands, find that B@$t@r|) and have Sydney's parents peck him to death...

Well, Chris, I did... so excuse me...

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is a terrible ending to a beautiful story. Words cannot adequately express my thoughts, but may Sydney rest in his new home...away from the maliciousness of uncaring humans.

16. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Sandi, I've already told you by email what I think of the person with the boat. Can't repeat that here.
    I'm very sorry to hear about Sydney, there aren't enough beautiful creatures in life as it is. We just don't need to lose more of what we do have.
    Jarrell

17. Thank you so much for your caring words. It's strange, somehow if it was a fox or coyote, I'd be sad but regard that as the order of Nature, of the food chain, and it happens to keep all the species strong. I just can't accept human beings being so cruel to a defenceless animal. The sight of him used to make my heart sing. The sight of his poor broken little body is one that's hard to forget.

If I got hold of the guy, concrete block around ankle to make sure he couldn't swim away, and then I'd get my own boat.

I swore last night as I went to sleep that I wasn't going to go over there anymore, but I think I will go back, even just to be with the parents.

If you're a motorboater, PLEASE tell all the others to just slow it down and respect nature as it's precious.

All I ever wanted was to watch him learn to fly this autumn. Never got to see him stretch his wings.... Poor little Sydney

18. Oh Sandi! I don't know what to think. I think Frank said it best with a terrible ending to a beautiful story. He was becoming a celebrity around here, first with your beautiful postings of him, then with the POTD and then the BOC.

There just aren't words for this kind of behavior. It's sickening.

I hope you find peace.

19. Thanks Frank and Kevin. Yes, it truly is a horrible ending to such a beautiful story. When I saw that post about BOC after I told you about him dying, I just couldn't believe it. It was like a tribute to him. I have to keep thinking about just that. I'm just so sad. Even my cats know somethings wrong, and are sticking close, they can feel it.
    Yes Jarrell, there's a special place for this person who did this. Strange mind that could do such a thing.
    This is for Sydney, his little life brought me so much joy, happiness and I honed my new DSLR & VR skills on his quick moving little form! Between March and now, I've taken over 8,000 shots so I've got a lot of pics of Sydney to enjoy later, when I can look at him.
    This is his mother when his parents were courting. You can see the reflection of my kayak in her eye. Sydney's the twinkle behind it ;)
    original.
    Built the nest, laid one egg... tending the nest in the late sunshine...
    original.
    original.

I didn't want to disturb the nest too much in case they abandoned it, so I left them alone. Then, lo and behold, I come around the corner on an evening paddle and there he is, my first sighting of their new little baby
    original.

He never left their side, was always trailing along....
    original.

He had a cocky little paddle to him, full of personality, that's for sure...
    original.

He usually stuck close to Mom but every once in a while, Dad would take him while Mom would feed.... He was more strict with Sydney, made him stay closer - wouldn't let him venture as far.... This is good!
    original.

But after a few hours, Sydney would get tired and hitch a ride... always with Mom...
    original.
    original.

My handsome little prince... this photo is burned on my brain... and I'll always think of it as my best. Riding on Mom's back and she's turned around, looking over her shoulder to check on him, a drop of water falling off her beak.
    original.

Sydney, we loved you. You made me laugh, you even made big guys on the forum go "awwwwwwwwwww" when no one could hear them!! *LOL* You were a special little guy. Rest in Peace.

20. Beautiful story, Sandi. We all love him.