1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In Need of Printer Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by ShadowFox19, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hello All,
    I'm in search of a new printer for printing photos. I'm trying to stay within a $500 budget...is it possible to get a superb quality print from a printer within that price point?
    Your recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I'm in the same boat. Seems like the best options are:

Epson 1900
    Epson 1400
    Canon Pro 9000

A couple of older ones are Epson 1800 and Epson R800.

Were you looking to do B&W too? How about paper? Dye vesus pigment ink?

3. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Epson R1900. I've read 6 reviews of it and it seems like a solid choice for the price point.

I do plan on doing B&W. I'm not too familiar with the different paper types...or the ink for that matter. I figured I'd learn once I get the printer.

4. I currently own the Epson R1800. Good printer but neither it nor the R1900 will print good b&w. My next printer is going to be the HP Photosmart pro 8850 printer. This printer runs about $500. It does a wonderful job on both color and b&w. It also comes with large capacity tanks. Both the Epson R1800 and R1900 use small capacity tanks which don't last too long and if you do much printing at all will eat you out of house and home - did I say expensive ink costs?:biggrin:

5. That HP is the other model I was looking at. Good to know about the Epson and B&W print quality.

6. AirTimid

AirTimid

Feb 17, 2006
    Nova Scotia
  7. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    And the HP has a built in Densometer, so it can calibrate itself accurately with each ink change.

8. I purchased an Epson 4800 at a time when I was working on selling poster sized stuff. Are you right about ink. Filling that sucker up took $450.00 for the set of cartridges! :eek:  Plus I wasn't really "up" on using that type printer and every time I went to use it, it would clean the ink jets (it's possible to disable this feature); this sucked down 80% of my ink and dumped it into the drain bucket.

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    For fine art printing (once you get past the learning curve), I've found that the Epson's not only work very well (using a 2400 for up to 13 x 19 on all sorts of media) and are well received by galleries.

It really depends on what you want to do. I've been doing B&W for a long time, was there when Paul first introduced his Black only printing model. That being said, the Epson pigment printers give you B&W that is to die for....really great stuff. I think that the real issue is if you want the creative control and how big do you print.

For me the Epson 2400 has been a perfect match. I will replace it with the current Epson equivalent.

10. So, which printer within my price point ($500ish) should I get? The 2400 is $700.
    Is the Epson going to be a ink-hog? Or will the quality make up for the ink cost?

11. Yes, the Epsons are ink hogs. Every time you turn it on or change an ink cartridge it runs through a cleaning cycle which drains ink from all the carts not just the one you changed. And yes, a new set of ink cartridges for the HP is expensive but the per ml cost is much lower than the Epson R1800, R1900 or R2400. Another thing with the HP compared to the 2400 is that you don't have to change out carts when switching from color to b&w.

12. Another vote for HP - the ink usage on these things is incredibly low. I have a Designjet 130 and a 750C and we go through U.S. presidents faster than I do ink carts.

Sean

13. If you are considering an Epson 2400 the 3800 is a better deal for a printer that will do excellent B&W. The 3800 comes with a full set of 80 ml ink cartridges. The 2400 comes with 18ml cartridges. The 3800 takes 17 inch wide paper, and prints 17x22 and up to 17x35

I purchased a refurbished 3800 from Epson. It actually cost less than the 2400 when the ink was figured in. The 3800 seems to use a lot of this ink in the set up, but it is just filling the lines and you get to use this ink. I have not seen much drain at all from the charging and cleaning, nor from the line cleaning when you switch blacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  14. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Epson 3800

I also own an Epson 3800 and could not be more pleased with its use of ink and the photo output. The larger cartridges although more expensive last far longer resulting in considerably less per print cost. The output is superb.

15. I appreciate the comments about the 3800. I may do some part-time work back at Customs and that printer would be in my plans.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.