In Piazza

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
In Reggio Emilia where I live, they have just finished the restoration of the Campanile di San Prospero. It has been hidden behind scaffolding for several years. We are in total lockdown and we cannot go outside our Comune, so at least this gave me something new to photograph. The bars and restaurants are closed , so the Piazza is unusually deserted too, which was a photographic plus.

This is a reshoot of a set I tried doing hand held with the Z7 with a 35mmPC attached. ISO4000 does not give the best quality even on my Z7, so I decided to do things properly and reshoot with a tripod at base ISO. This time I used my D810 and my 28mm PC and 35mm PC. I love these two lenses that I picked up cheap on eBay, nice and sharp and nice starbursts.

I rediscovered a great technique for this sort of subject, almost by chance. I wanted a mostly people free result. There were always passers by crossing the square, but by shooting at 30 seconds, the intruders just disappear if they are moving. It took a lot of alternative frames as people stand still and bikes with bright lights pass through, leaving a trace on the shot.

The level in my camera is not very precise on the lens axis and I have found that using a little bubble level placed against the filter ring is a good quick way to level the camera on this axis. Using a geared head also makes life much easier. I should have bought one years ago, getting the camera level is just so easy with this head.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 just after sunset

3 28mm PC

4 The 35mm PC gives a less stretched tower.

5 Not the only photographer.

6 Just the guy sitting on the steps of the church did not disappear.

7 Alternative take

8 Taken on my morning stroll.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thanks.

Bologna is one of our hidden gems. The food is the best in Italy just for a start.
It's a weird story, Nigel.
A good friend of mine studied economics here in Germany. When the Erasmus program (student exchange) started he wanted to go to London. But the officials sent him to Bologna. He didn't want to go but his parents forced him to go.
Two years later he was married to a beautiful Italian girl and meanwhile he's professor at the university where Galileo once worked.

I've visited him several times, even when he married in San Pietro di Terme.

I like this region a lot
Klaus

Great opportunity and you took excellent advantage of it. I've always been aware of the long exposure trick to eliminate people, but have never had an opportunity to try it.

When was the campanile built? It looks quite old and reminds me of the towers in Bologna.

Bologna is one of our hidden gems. The food is the best in Italy just for a start.
I had the privilege of spending a month in each of the summers of 1981, '83, '85, and '89 as a visiting professor at the University of Bologna. I certainly agree with you about the food. My host professor loved to have elaborate dinner parties at the local restaurants. I have many happy memories. Would love to get back sometime.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
When was the campanile built? It looks quite old and reminds me of the towers in Bologna.
I was curious about this, so I looked it up.

According to Italian Wikipedia, between 1536 and 1570. It was apparently never finished. Giulio Romano )1499-1546), a major architect (and painter) of the Mannerist style, put the finishing touches on the design.

"Nel 1487 la torre fu abbattuta e, tra il 1536 ed 1570, su disegno di Cristoforo Ricci e Giulio Romano, venne ricostruita."

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_di_San_Prospero

The façade is 18th century late Italian baroque, to my eye very harmonious and with the tower fits into the piazza beautifully. These images really do it justice! Would love to visit some day, but probably never will.

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
It's a weird story, Nigel.
A good friend of mine studied economics here in Germany. When the Erasmus program (student exchange) started he wanted to go to London. But the officials sent him to Bologna. He didn't want to go but his parents forced him to go.
Two years later he was married to a beautoful Italian girl and meanwhile he's professor at the university where Galileo once worked.

I've visited him several times, even when he married in San Pietro di Terme.

I like this region a lot
Klaus
It is a great happy story and I quess Erasmus has produced many of these stories.

I too am in Italy because I met a lovely Italian girl in London and as she was homesick I transferred down to Italy without knowing a word of Italian. I am still here after 30 or more years.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Great opportunity and you took excellent advantage of it. I've always been aware of the long exposure trick to eliminate people, but have never had an opportunity to try it.

I had the privilege of spending a month in each of the summers of 1981, '83, '85, and '89 as a visiting professor at the University of Bologna. I certainly agree with you about the food. My host professor loved to have elaborate dinner parties at the local restaurants. I have many happy memories. Would love to get back sometime.
Bill has given you a brief history. I will just add that it was never finished, it is missing another level as funds ran out. Many of our monuments here in Italy are unfinished. Our cathedral has an unfinished façade.

Many of our monuments here in Italy are unfinished. Our cathedral has an unfinished façade.
As is San Petronio in Bologna. A popular story, true or not, is that the Pope diverted funds from the building of San Petronio when he learned it would be bigger than St. Peters in Rome.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Very nice set Nigel. I admit I did not know what superb "sunstars" you can get from a PC lens.
Yes, it was a surprise for me too. The old Nikon 28PC and 35PC are great lenses. I bought mine a bit battered and bruised on eBay.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom