1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In Praise of Nikon Service, Ginza Tokyo...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TerribleTwins, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Was in Toyko last weekend, walking down Ginza street ( Tokyo's equivalent of 5th Ave) & taking photo's...changed the lens & forgot to switch off the camera:actions1: , next thing dust all over the sensor.

By chance found the Nikon Centre, walked in & upstairs to the service counter...1 hour later clean sensor & free of charge:eek: :eek: 

Can't praise them enough.

2. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!
    Nikon dose great work and when its free its even better.
    Glad to hear you got if fixed and with out a lot of down time. I would like to get back there. I bet thing have really changed sense '71. (BTW the exchange rate was 360 yen to 1 USD) Just think what you could do with that exchange rate!

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Was There a Sandstorm?

I cahnge lenses and TC's constantly, many times oudoors on the beach or in the dunes with the wind blowing....and every once in a while I do foget to turn the camera off.

Are you assuming that just because yuo didn't power down that dust magically was sucked out of the cosmos and onto the sensor cover?

Unless you stood there for a prolonged amount of time in a dusty environment.....this one occasion wasn't the cause.

4. Jim,
    was taking pictures with the 35-70 - no dust in sight - changed the lens to the 17-35 & suddenly next shots - dust - or rather large pieces of dirt - you could see it clearly at F5!!. So the the stuff got in whilst changing the lens (could have been on the back of the 17-35).

the only other time I got a significant amout of dirt on the sensor is when I have left the camera on to change the lens - if the camera is off when changing lenses - I have had very little trouble with dust / dirt.

At least these are my experiences thus far.

thanks

5. 100 yen to 1 dollar at the moment - Ginza street makes 5th Ave look like your average highstreet!!!! lots of convertible ferraris!!!!!

However - I find Japan to be absoloutely fascinating - & thank the stars for Starbucks!!!! (sushi is just another word for bait:biggrin:) 

6. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    How does the camera being on differ from being off in getting dust on the sensor?

7. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Some will say that there is a static charge created by the sensor when it is on which when exposed to the environment attracts dust.

Personally, I don't get it. I try to turn the camera off just for the principle of it but I'd say that at least 20% of the time I leave it on by accident.. So far, I've had a bits of dust on the focus screen, but never on the sensor..:confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.