In search of sundogs.........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by satelite seven, Jul 17, 2007.

1. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    .............but found some thistles.

I spotted a sundog driving home this evening...... and guess what no camera to hand.
    Anyway rushed indoors grabbed the camera and headed to higher ground and just caught the fading remnants which can be seen as a blue, red, hue bottom center of first image.
    Just to help anyone who is not sure about "sundogs" here is a link to help explain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

I continued my walk and snapped a couple of some thistles in the fading sun.

SUNDOG

THISTLE 1
    View attachment 106566

THISTLE 2
    View attachment 106567

2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Wow I don't think I have ever seen one. I didn't even know what they were till i followed your link.

3. Really nice images, I have never seen a sundog, but have seen the samething with the moon.

4. Hi Patrick,

Here is a link that you might enjoy that explains and shows photos of many different atmospheric events:
    http://www.atoptics.co.uk/
    Sun Dogs are in the Ice Halos section.

Check out some of the other photos and you will know what to watch for in the future.

Bob & Nan

5. I really like the second one and the way the light makes the thistles stand out.

6. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Thanks for the link Bob and Nan, I have had an interest in weather phenomenen for a couple of years now ever since I spotted my first CZA,we had a lot of high cirrus clouds here yesterday, so my eyes were on the skies , sundogs are harder to spot here in the city as they normally lie lower on the horizon, as mentioned before this sundog was looking good about 20 minutes before the shot, shame eh?

7. Patrick...
    thanks for giving this phenomenen a name!

The only time I had seen one was several years ago before photography...
    I was so enthralled by this, simply beautiful. Much different than just the
    colors in clouds we are blessed with quite often...
    I even called our local TV weatherman who was so kind as to explain to me
    this sighting! I have not seen one since, however.

I would love to see one again and be able to photograph the wondrous sight!!

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have seen several only caught one on film, some times I saw them when flying,

Not my best, but one I have online, the other one is just a photo of the sky area, but it is pretty boring shot.

[​IMG]

9. dt6366

dt6366

Dec 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info on Sun Dogs. Didnt know thats what they were called.

The second image is really neat.

10. satelite seven

satelite seven

May 14, 2006
    london
    Thanks everyone for your responses, these meteorlogical phenomenen are not that uncommon, its just a matter of looking at the right time,
    The first CZA (circumzenithal arc) that I saw was spotted by my children, perhaps it is only as children that we gaze up into the sky with wonderment but we can learn this again as adults, keep those eyes aloft!!!!!!!!........with camera's ready!!!!