In the footsteps of DaVinci Code author Dan Brown (10 pics)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Clivegriff, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Yesterday, Wednesday 23 March, My wife (SWMBO) and I made the DaVinci Code devotees' pilgrimage to Rosslyn Chapel, just south of Edinburgh, the capital city of Scotland.

The chapel is the most amazing, awesome place. Perhaps even more so because it is still a "working" church and regular services are still held there.

This made photography a little awkward because there are modern day artefacts all over. Space heaters, lights, microphones, wiring are in abundant evidence and great care is necessary not to include them in the shot.

I have tried to capture some slightly different angles from the norm because cookie cutter images of Rosslyn Chapel are easily available either in books or the web.

View attachment 6556

View attachment 6557

View attachment 6558

View attachment 6559

View attachment 6560

View attachment 6561

View attachment 6562

View attachment 6563

View attachment 6564

I hope these images are of particular interest to my American friends on this forum who have read the DaVinci Code but have been unable to visit Rosslyn to see the wondrous place for themselves.

2. Wonderful architecture over there. Thanks for sharing. :) :) :)

3. We've got a copy of the book lying around here somewhere - I had a vague idea of what it was about, but I didn't realise it involved Rosslyn !

As a born and bred Edinburgher (?), I've been this way a few times and it's always jam packed with coach tours. Well done on getting some shots without the usual half dozen tourists in them !

Now I'll need to find that book and read it ...

4. My pleasure, Bryan. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

5. It does, Dougie. But I don't want to give away anything about the plot.

Suffice to say that the number of visitors to Rosslyn has risen exponentially.

I have read many, many books in my time but this is the most thought-provoking.

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Clive, you've got some good shots under tough circumstances. My favourites would be the last two, but the fact that you managed to get all the shots without people and without evidence of modern changes is a feather in your cap. Well done.

Neil

7. Having read the book made the pictures even more interesting. Thanks for your post.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nice shots. Scotland is a wonderful place to visit and shoot. Of course the last time I was in Edinburgh I got the crap beat out of me and woke up in a hospital. So other then that, it's a great place to visit. :?

9. Thanks, Neil.

The difficulties were compounded by the fact that the only lens I had with me was my 50mm f/1.8 which meant that "zooming" meant taking a step or two nearer and "wide angle" meant taking a step or two back.

Makes you think about the shot, though.

10. Thanks, Gordon, that's what I was hoping for.

11. Ah, so you've met my mother-in-law?

I remember that incident, she was taking a day off from kick-starting Boeings.

12. I guess I'm one of the very lucky ones to come from Constantine's place of birth and to be able to visit the land and the ole Roman baths :)

Nice piuctures ! :D

13. Thanks, mate. It was fun - and challenging - taking them.

14. LMBO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like my mother-in-law!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;