In the midst of a flock of...

what else, but Sandhill Cranes. Mary and I went to the Canoe launch to see if anything was around. As we got there, a huge cloud covered the sun. We went home, but stopped at the local High School.

There was 22 Sandhill Cranes there. I shot with the H and 300, with and without the 1.4. I left my flash home (damn it) and there was very low light. Mary used the D100 and 24-85 with the built in flash

this is not cropped at all, exif below. Not bad for 800 iso, but I shoulda fine tuned the wb in pp'ing, and no NR:
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2H
Flash Used No
Focal Length 420 mm
Exposure Time 1/125 sec
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Equivalent 800
Exposure Bias
White Balance (10)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

this is cropped a bit, not much:

original.jpg

Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2H
Flash Used No
Focal Length 300 mm
Exposure Time 1/160 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO Equivalent 640
Exposure Bias
White Balance (10)
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

Mary shot these and it was a good 8x10 print:
original.gif

View attachment 13808

G

Gordon Large

Hey Harris -

The high school has 22 now? Why on earth would 22 wild SC's decide to camp out at the local high school? Very weird, and very lucky for you. All the shots are good, but I'll vote for #2, but with a bit more of the neck cropped out. The head pose is kind of regal looking. Really nice.

BTW, what do the gangly yellow chicks I saw last spring look like now? Do you have a photo record of them over the summer? That would be great to see.

Gordon

greyflash said:
Like the first image the best. Sandhills are remarkable birds. So large and yet graceful when in the air.

Thanks Gordon. They are amazing birds. Very communal. Seems the ones with the chicks that were in different areas now congregate here too. They talk to each other, argue, watch over each other.

Gordon Large said:
Hey Harris -

The high school has 22 now? Why on earth would 22 wild SC's decide to camp out at the local high school? Very weird, and very lucky for you. All the shots are good, but I'll vote for #2, but with a bit more of the neck cropped out. The head pose is kind of regal looking. Really nice.

BTW, what do the gangly yellow chicks I saw last spring look like now? Do you have a photo record of them over the summer? That would be great to see.

Gordon

I think he was there. Will post a shot. His beak is turning black and the head getting the red spot. See what I can do to chronicle it...

Greg said:
good sharp images. with the "H" no less. the second I feel is the best.

Thanks, the first was right up on me, maybe 5 ft away and moving. The second was about 10ft away and holding still...

2nd shot in awesome Harris! you have those cranes down pat. Im starting to think you are the Grizzly Adams of Sandhill cranes ;-)

Chris101 said:
Mmmm - #2 is really good - perfect focus and detail it die for. Excellent shots!

Thanks Chris, it was fun to be literally surrounded by them. They kept an eye on me at times, but went on with their eating and activity, so seem comfortable with me and da boss.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom