1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Critique In the shop

Discussion in 'People' started by the_traveler, Mar 3, 2019.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    In the shop

upload_2019-3-3_20-52-45.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. I like this, a lot. What a great moment/story to capture.

3. The overalls add so much--the perfect contrasting colors. Enough of the car to show it is Cuba. Classic! All that's missing is a honking big cigar :)  And dig that peace sign!

Orange overalls: "Dude, I've no idea what this is!"
    Blue overalls: " I bet it's a GPS tracker placed by comrade Raoul or the CIA, or KGB"

4. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    This was taken with a 24-105 zoom and is amazingly sharp. That is a bizarrely sharp lens

5. Great image, tells a very interesting story.

6. It is simply a well done image. I love the studious, intense expressions on their faces and the time worn setting overall. The lighting is also great.

Jarrell

7. Reminds me of a Norman Rockwell in that it portrays a distinctly human moment. Lovely image!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. An image that tells a story. Well taken. I agree with Andy -gives me a Rockwell feeling.

9. This is superb, Lew. Of course, the mens’ soiled coveralls colors first catch the eye. Closer observation, though, brings the aged, weather-worn walls and door to attention. The mens’ grease covered hands, their skin features, their work shoes and caps all add to the completeness of the shop environment, which the bygone era car confirms.

Most intriguing to me, though, is the bowl in the background.....is it for a meal or does it hold miscelleanous nuts, bolts, screws and washers?

This is what I value in photography....an image that causes one to pause, think, experience emotion(s). It takes me back to a boyhood garage that my father would take his vehicles to for mechanical work. I can almost smell the distinct aroma of oil, gas and dust all fused together.

Well done, and thank you for the memories!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. I enjoy the images and all the comments. It certainly has the Rockwell look.

11. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    This is essentially the ff and I wish you could see it at full resolution, a real tribute to the Sony lens and sen sor.

Thank you to those who liked it.
    I'm not much on posed images or I-was-there kinds of shots. I'm not interested in the technical issues as much as finding subjects that can tell the story I saw and that impressed me as typical of the environment.
    I am working on a bunch of different 'stories' that I will post on my site.

upload_2019-3-5_20-39-43.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. Add me to the list of admirers.

13. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    OK, it's you snd one grandchild.

14. Well done! This would have been equally superb in b/w.

15. Lew,
    All the elements necessary to tell a great story are here, so not much else to say that hasn't already been said, except to pay you the highest compliment I can: "Gee. I wish I had taken this photo!"
    Robert

16. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    Probably so but I am a fan pf tropical color.

Thank you, Rob. But wouldn't you have made it using 'F-I-L-M"?

17. Lew,
    By way of full disclosure, I've had two D3 digital bodies and three auto focus zooms for about a year and a half. Except for the auto-focus, I'm ambivalent about swapping a ton of SLR bodies and lenses for this stuff. I've still got two SLRs and four rangefinders plus my primes manual focus Nikkors so I can continue to make images with the ton of colour slide f...I...l...m I have in the freezer.
    Robert

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  18. There's a lot to like with this one. Strangely, the first thing I noticed was the key chain, but the peace sign, the overalls...

Excellent moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.