Critique In the shop

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
In the shop

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The overalls add so much--the perfect contrasting colors. Enough of the car to show it is Cuba. Classic! All that's missing is a honking big cigar :) And dig that peace sign!

Orange overalls: "Dude, I've no idea what this is!"
Blue overalls: " I bet it's a GPS tracker placed by comrade Raoul or the CIA, or KGB"

This is superb, Lew. Of course, the mens’ soiled coveralls colors first catch the eye. Closer observation, though, brings the aged, weather-worn walls and door to attention. The mens’ grease covered hands, their skin features, their work shoes and caps all add to the completeness of the shop environment, which the bygone era car confirms.

Most intriguing to me, though, is the bowl in the background.....is it for a meal or does it hold miscelleanous nuts, bolts, screws and washers?

This is what I value in photography....an image that causes one to pause, think, experience emotion(s). It takes me back to a boyhood garage that my father would take his vehicles to for mechanical work. I can almost smell the distinct aroma of oil, gas and dust all fused together.

Well done, and thank you for the memories!

Last edited:
Real Name
Lewis Lorton
This is essentially the ff and I wish you could see it at full resolution, a real tribute to the Sony lens and sen sor.

Thank you to those who liked it.
I'm not much on posed images or I-was-there kinds of shots. I'm not interested in the technical issues as much as finding subjects that can tell the story I saw and that impressed me as typical of the environment.
I am working on a bunch of different 'stories' that I will post on my site.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Well done! This would have been equally superb in b/w.
Probably so but I am a fan pf tropical color.

Lew,
All the elements necessary to tell a great story are here, so not much else to say that hasn't already been said, except to pay you the highest compliment I can: "Gee. I wish I had taken this photo!"
Robert
Thank you, Rob. But wouldn't you have made it using 'F-I-L-M"?

Lew,
By way of full disclosure, I've had two D3 digital bodies and three auto focus zooms for about a year and a half. Except for the auto-focus, I'm ambivalent about swapping a ton of SLR bodies and lenses for this stuff. I've still got two SLRs and four rangefinders plus my primes manual focus Nikkors so I can continue to make images with the ton of colour slide f...I...l...m I have in the freezer.
Robert

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom