In the Silver Maple tree

Discussion in 'People' started by fotographik, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Just caught my son leaning on a branch of the Silver Maple we have in backyard. I think I should have opened up the lens more to blur out the branches more. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I see what you are saying, but this is still a very nice image. Since there are so many great things about the image, like his smile, eyes, expression, and pose, maybe you could try masking and applying a blur in Photoshop. I think it's a keeper either way.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

The mood and capture are terrific. You can always use a guasian blur on the bg if you'd like it more obtuse.

4. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    I took the liberty of doing a quick edit, here are the steps:

Create a duplicate layer
    apply a gaussian blur
    Using the eraser with soft edge on the duplicate layer erase the face and any other areas you want in focus
    Flatten layers
    Create a new blank layer
    Using a soft edge brush apply red paint to cheeks
    Make new layer mode overlay and adjust opacity to taste
    Flatten Layers
    Using a soft edge brush and the dodge tool draw over the coloured part of the eye to release colour and highlights
    Burn the midtones on the background to better frame the face
    [​IMG]
    Hope you like it, it was just a quick edit

5. Thanks Fred.

6. Thanks. The blur was going to be my next step...but looks like Chris beat me to it.:biggrin:

7. Wow Chris...very nicely done! I was going to do it a slightly different way but this works great. My wife just looked at it and loved it.

Thanks for the taking the time to do this...and to explain how you did it!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic image

9. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005

No Problems at all Frank, with a higher res image and a little more time this picture has great potential. He's a very cute little boy and the picture really shows this well.

10. By the way Chris....I really like what you did to the eyes. Fantastic touch!

11. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    I think it's a wonderful image...one you will enjoy for years to come! His expression is so realy and perfect.