Featured Critique In the Snowy Mountains of Norway

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by theriksen, Apr 7, 2018.

1. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Hello again, Nikonians!

During Easter, I was staying at my cabin in the Norwegian mountains, close to a ski resort. My wife and kids enjoyed the slopes while I went for a walk with the camera. We had 1 meter (around 3 feet) of snow all over the landscape, and beautiful blue skies most of the time, which made for a very nice Easter holiday.

By the way; did you know that the sun and snow in the mountains of Norway during Easter result in a UV grade close to what you'll find on the beaches of the Mediterranean Sea (Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey etc.) during summer?

I was lucky enough to catch this photo of a cross-country skier while I was doing one of my walks:
    Cross-Country Skier, Haugastøl, Norway. 2018.
    270318-spHbw-wb2.

Finally, back at the cabin after a very long and rewarding walk, I enjoyed a cup of warm cocoa in the snow cave we dug for the kids to enjoy when they weren't out skiing:

Relaxing in Snow Cave, Geilo, Norway. 2018.
    270318-fisbw-wb.

The first image is a real favourite of mine. I'm not sure of the second, but I like the intimacy and childishness it displays after what I did. It's no masterpiece, but perhaps some of you will like the storytelling in the image.

Thanks for your time and your words!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Both images are good! The lone skier emphasizes the grand snow-covered landscape. Well composed, captured and processed.

And I enjoy the second image - it makes me smile and think that us adults would do better to not take ourselves so seriously all the time...and enjoy simply pleasures!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Very nice composition and sense of scale in the first image Tor. I just wonder if the image would look better if the snow was a bit brighter (and whiter as a result).

4. I love the simplicity of the first one, and the playfulness of the second. Du gjør godt arbeid.

For the record, NO, I don't speak Norwegian. My wife is of Norwegian descent and is learning the language. I know enough to say "Jeg forstår ikke. Jeg snakker litt norsk." (With a strong emphasis on litt).

5. Agreed with all of the above.

6. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    #1 is a marvellous minimalistic scene, Tor!
    #2 is indeed a good story telling image. I like how these fragments invoke a mood.

7. I really like the first photograph...simple, otherworldly (always a high compliment in my view) and with a great sense of scale.

Glenn

8. The first image could easily be a desert scene. I like the aloneness one feels while viewing this and the scale provided by the skier. The moon is certainly and added feature that adds much to the image. Second image is a fun look at life in Norway and is well done.

9. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    The sense of scale in the first image is incredible.

10. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Really like the emptiness of that first shot.

11. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thanks a lot, Karen. Am glad you enjoyed the images, and your comment on the second photograph is spot on; adults would indeed do better to be a bit childish now and then.

12. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you for the words, Binnur!
    I have tried to brighten the snow a bit, but I lose a bit of depth of field if I do, and I don't like it brighter than it is (as you can see on my website, I enjoy darker scenes).

13. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thanks a lot, Nick!
    Your Norwegian is impressive, and the emphasis on litt is correct. We gather that you know a bit, but prefer to speak English, which most Norwegians speak fluently.

Am glad you like the images, and that you point out the playfulness of the first. It was exactly what I was aiming for, but it was also a good rest in the snow cave after my walk. I enjoyed it, not just as a place to relax, but as a short throwback to childhood.

14. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Mike! It's highly appreciated!

15. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thanks, Bart!
    It's great to hear that you like the first image, and that my second image created a bit of story-telling. I hope it works without the text attached to it as well.

16. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Hi Glenn,
    Thank you so much for taking your time commenting my photos. I'm very happy you liked the first image, and your words are greatly appreciated. I am humbled by your praise. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  17. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much Gordon!

We don't have many deserts around where I live (except the tundra in northern Norway, which isn't made of sand), but there is a very tiny sandy desert in the north of Denmark, and I hope to visit it during this year to try my luck. Seeing as I know my way around the snow, I might have a good chance of a good shot or two.

I'm glad you like the second image as well. You should try it sometime, but if you intend to sleep in a snow cave at any time; do not dig it like this, as it doesn't keep the heat in. It's more of a child's cave to play in, really.

Thanks again for your kind words!

18. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you so much, Walter! I'm glad you like the image and that you point out the scale. It just about shows us how inferior we are to nature and everything around us. I'm happy we can take advantage of said nature and enjoy it as the skier does. I hope to return to the scene this summer to hopefully capture more shots.

Thanks Rick,
    The isolation of the skier was exactly what I sought after, and it fits the surroundings so well. I also like how the moon appears as another lonely walker on the sky in the scene.

19. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Stunning pair of images, both superb in their own way. The first is gorgeous with it’s simplicity, starkness, and dual subjects.

I think it is a good time for a B&W feature!

Folks, check out his BW mages on his home page. A photog who loves good dark contrasting B & W, right up my alley.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. theriksen

theriksen

Nov 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thanks a lot, Wade!
    I feel honoured, and I'm glad you like the images! It is highly appreciated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.