1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

In yer face: Redbellies close up

Discussion in 'Birds' started by keirin, Jun 21, 2007.

1. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: fixed my posting error that kept the pix from displaying. Here's another one from this morning. Happy Summer Solstice!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. RAURICK

RAURICK Guest

Outstanding

Great shots!

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Now you are just showing off! :biggrin:

Seriously, all I can say is wow! I like each and every one of them but especially the last one.

4. what were you doing in the next tree.....nice and sharp shots.

laurie

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Holey Smokes
    Do you live in that tree to. Couldn't get much closer

Great shots

6. Spectacular shots of the woodies, Keirin!

7. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005

Thank you, Gale. Actually you're right about not getting closer -- at twenty feet or so I was bumping up against the close-focussing limit of the lens (600 5.6 AIS).

Sincere thanks to you and to all who've stopped to comment.

8. Keirin, Really like te last one and the other two which show the bird in it's natural enviorment (the tree cavity nest). I think some enviorment with the wildlife subject really makes the photo. I am thinking you were useing a 3002.8 with a 2X and I think if you still have the chance to try going with the 300 stright for just a few and see how then look. I bet with some more of the surroundings of that cavity nest would make a beauty of a large print. Very nice work.
    Lou
    www.loubuscher.com

9. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    Thank you for your comments. The pictures in this thread were done with a somewhat less exotic lens than the 300/2.8 (these pix were taken with a new [new to me, anyway] 600 f5.6n AIS). One or two photos may have also had a Kenko 1.4 tc involved).

I generally agree that it's good to show a bird (or other creatures) in its natural setting. The struggle, for a newbie like me, is that there are already so many great pictures of that style posted here ( so many of which I think could accompany the Audubon Guide's description for a species) that I'm often drawn to extreme perspectives to give my own photos some distinction from the existing repertoire. In the instant case, there really wasn't any nearby foliage that might have put these birds in a different context - the nearest background tree is twenty feet away and I don't know how to keep it from being blurred into unrecognizability even with a somewhat smaller aperture and shorter focal length. For example, here's a full-frame picture from the same vantage point:

[​IMG]

In the interim, I'll have to resort to gadgets and gimmicks like stuff like this --

[​IMG]

10. Great shots. Beautiful.

11. Great capture...... I will have to loose a few pounds before I attempt to do similar shots, but at my age

12. Wow, I was NOT expecting that first shot. These are terrific... great captures. I truly believe it's not necessary to capture the whole bird in the shot to get a good one. That red/orange looks like it must have been spray painted on! Thanks for sharing these.

13. Amazing. Can't get closer as Gale said. And to think I have a nest within 9 ft but not enough glass for these! Gotta get me some glass! :) 

14. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Stunning is all I can say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.