Incoming rain in Tidbinbilla ACT, Nikon Z7.
C7CAADBA-FE84-4072-BBB4-DB48B77BCDAC.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great concept. Consider making it black-and-white.
23B0F8AD-929A-43E8-8FC6-A840B032BFFA.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
This is a black and white edit of a different composition.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like the B&W version the best....but would second the suggestion to crop some of the grass and have the horizon lower in the frame to create a stronger composition.

I just now realized that the color and monochrome images are different compositions because I didn't notice your note posted below the monochrome image. I really like how the mountain frames the tree in the monochrome version and would be willing to bet I would like that composition in color better than the first image you posted. Even so, I think I would still prefer the monochrome version best of all.

I just now realized that the color and monochrome images are different compositions because I didn't notice your note posted below the monochrome image. I really like how the mountain frames the tree in the monochrome version and would be willing to bet I would like that composition in color better than the first image you posted. Even so, I think I would still prefer the monochrome version best of all.
I prefer the composition of the monochrome but it needed a fair bit bit of burning in the top left of frame as the clouds were brightest there and it looked unbalanced. Colour doesn’t tend to work as well with heavy editing as mono imo. I tried to get more compositions framed with the mountain but I got hammered by rain. I probably had about 5 minutes to work with in which I banged off 3 shots. The two featured and one that was best of all composition and light wise but I either missed focus or bumped my tripod.

I have a couple of observations on this one. Understand we are all different and we tend to do things with our images according to how we feel about them.
This is what I would do if this was my image. First, in my opinion the tree in the middle of the frame looks static. Following composition rules I believe it would have looked better placed on a side instead of dead center. I could be wrong though.
The b&w rendition is excellent but I wish that contrast be added. Something tells me it will cause more impact on the viewer. I have nothing against leaving the grass like it is.

Love 'em both. The color shot conveys the message of the title best—incoming rain. The B&W one is more gloomy and suggests the rain has started to dampen things. Both excellent shots and the tree works well in the center.

I have a couple of observations on this one. Understand we are all different and we tend to do things with our images according to how we feel about them.
This is what I would do if this was my image. First, in my opinion the tree in the middle of the frame looks static. Following composition rules I believe it would have looked better placed on a side instead of dead center. I could be wrong though.
The b&w rendition is excellent but I wish that contrast be added. Something tells me it will cause more impact on the viewer. I have nothing against leaving the grass like it is.
Hi thanks for the comment. In regards to the tree being in the centre of the frame, that is probably somewhat from me being a previous Hasselblad owner?. I just got used to the square format so much, even now I shhot in 4:5 aspect ratio so it’s nearly square anyway. I’m undecided though about following the rule of thirds just for the sake of following it. I feel if I put it on a different axis there would just be too much negative space without a reason of any compositional devices to pull my eye in. Maybe you are right and I will try cropping to have a look. What I would like is if I had a longer focal length but I don’t own a longer lens than my 24-70 @70.

Latest threads

Top Bottom