Increase my workflow understanding, please.

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 24, 2007.

1. I really need some information in the are of high-volume processing. I started shooting sports last year and am now average 175-250 shots per game. Most are now in JPEG; sometimes I shoot raw. I am finding the time to sort, process, and post to the web (much less send prints to appropriate end-users) extraordinarily time consuming.

I think I can describe my "ideal" post processing, but I don't know which software can deliver it or whether it can be done by any (I tried capture when I bought my d50 too years ago but was too much of a digital SLR newbie to appreciate much about it at the time...it seem cumbersome to me).

I shoot with a D50 and soon-to-be, a D1H. Currently I am processing with Adobe Elements 4.0 with Neat Image Pro+ as a plug-in. I have also played around with the trial version of DxO.

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

* Sort while downloading from the camera. Probably half my shots are throw aways. If I could serially screen each shot full-screen one-at-a-time and hit a "keep" or a "delete" button at this point I would be very happy.

* Have the "keepers" deposited in a holding directory (but not a final directory) classifying the shot by game-opponents-type-date, and transferring that data to a revised shot title.

* Have the "keepers" processed when this is happening with any "universal" settings applied, such settings to be easily coded into presets so chosing the right one for the batch is a simple choice.

* Have the "keepers" identified during this process as requiring customized pp or not, and those requiring it fed into a pp holding bin in Photoshop or equivalent.

* Save the individually PP's back into the holding bin as part of a version set, but done as a batch, not individually.

* Have the now "completed" batch batch-processed into a final JPEG bin ready to be sent off by email or uploaded into pbase or other web program, while being transferred into a uniform dimension suitable for web or publishing, and at same time encoded with a studio overlay for protection.

Is there any software out there, or combination of software that could allow me to closely approximate this process? Is anybody using a process very similar to this, and if so, using what software in what order? Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. That looks like a big ask Harry !!
    I use Lightroom and Photoshop so will answer from that perspective.

Hope that assists but as I say a big ask. Really you would need to do some things yourself, workflow is a great learning curve and discipline that I am slowly earning!!!:smile::smile:

3. Thanks, Geoff, for the suggestions to explore.

4. are you working on these with the hope to sell?

I try and either set WB pre shoot, or pick a reference shot to batch WB. I never try to pick keepers on the itty bitty screen, wait until I have something to see with. I batch as much as possible, including sharpening, and then go individually through the entire group to crop, resize and save as jpg to a separate folder. If I have a printable keeper, then go back and do what ever I need to do to that pic before printing. I have little time to play with pics, it's got to be fast and easy.

5. Harry,

I've been looking at photo mechanic to do alot of the organizing that you would like to do.....it's not a one shot solution but from what I've seen so far it's a great first step.

Mike

6. Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'll look into it.

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I probably have one of the more complex workflows. :)

- Intelligent usage of windows explorer / command.exe for the directory layout.
    - Pixort (for fast culling into subdirs like good, bad, and ugly, you probably want to look into this. However, more advanced apps might have better initial file management and can mark files into categories already).

http://www.pixort.com/

- My own custom app that renames files and sorts them into NEFs and JPEGs (I shoot both).
    - Capture NX for WB and Exposure adjustments
    - Export to TIFF (pre-resized if just for web)
    - PS for editing and batching into resizing and/or watermarking (Sometimes, I skip this step and use NX to directly output to jpeg)
    - Custom app again for watermarking (if not done in previous step) and preparing for websync AND updating a custom SQL database.
    - Synchronize to web server
    - Minor adjustments to the SQL database to allow visibility to the gallery.

I would try lightroom but it does not work for my OS. I blame Adobe for it's ineptitude on that one. I would take a look into lightroom though as I hear it does a pretty good job of integrating a lot of what I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  8. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Similar to others.. but here is my workflow which works well for me..

- download photos using Downloader Pro (breezesys.com)
    - photos are renamed and put into correct folders / subfolders based on camera type and photo type (NEF/JPG). Metadata also added at this point

- Use Lightroom to rank/flag (keepers and losers), delete and keyword photos
    - Use Lightroom to develop photos... sync develop settings for similar photos allows batching of photos for groups of similar images.
    - If client photos, then I now build a web gallery in Lightroom using a customized flash template. gallery gets uploaded to my website for client to review.
    - If photos are for personal use.. I typically don't do anything else.
    - For printing, I use Lightroom and the templates.. or bring them into photoshop for further filter usage, etc and then print from there.

If you can use Lightroom.. I'd give it a whirl.. ACR4.0 is fantastic and the all-in-one solution has great promise now in 1.1.. the fact that the same control work for JPG as well as RAW is a huge benefit.

You might also look inot the free OnONe Presets for Lightroom... I use them and they are as close to a one-cklick process as you will find for processing RAW photos.. at least it provides a great starting point to further tweak your images.

Good Luck!

9. You and Carroll both think Lightroom can do it....guess I'll take a hard look. Thanks.

10. Thanks for laying it out. I'll take you up on your Lightroom suggestion and check it out. Thanks.

11. Just download the trial version and if it works for you then pay the money for a number as the trial is a full version.

And ENJOY !!

12. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    agree... you are welcome.. I was very resistant to lightroom in v1.0 and continued to use bridge+RSP along with photoshop.. Now, I use lightroom almost exclusively and once they hopefully upgrade their downloader to make it allow for some advanced scripting.. can almost work exclusively in a single product!

Good luck and let me know if I can help further...