Indigo Bunting/Yellow Crown Night Heron

Well, finished up a little job first part of this week and then had a few days between jobs. Tried to get out a little each day and do some shooting. While out at the family farm, I noticed alot of Male Indigo Buntings working an uncut hay field (full of Chicory, and other native flowers and weeds). I decided to get right out in it and drove my truck in the middle of a thick patch. This stuff was tall, the top of the growth came up to the bottom of my windows. I set up my D300, 600VR, 1.4tc on my Kirk Window Mount ( I LOVE this piece of gear).

It was only a few minutes of waiting when everything settled back down. I soon had them landing within 5 feet of the truck! I need at least 15 feet so that was not good, but was a blast to watch. Anyway, just waited for my shots and they came here and there. Here are a few I like.

1656_C.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1744_C.jpg

1765_C.jpg

1772_C.jpg

Well, today was a family day, but boy did I sure want to shoot. I convinced my wife that I would take my gear and when we went by this one spot I have been scouting, I would drop her and my daughter off at a walking trail and they could walk while I got back in the swamp! She agreed much to my surprise.

I quietly began stalking along the creek. This creek dumps into a Cypress bog or swamp, and on the other end, it runs out and becomes a creek again. I have been seeing a few different species of Herons working this place. I soon found what I was after, a Yellow Crowned Night Heron. Problem was, he was already perched up in a tree for his daytime sleep. Worst part was he was located where I could not get a good clear shot of him while I was close. I had to work myself way around and shoot across the bog to get an open line of sight. This was shot with the 600VR, 1.4tc, still to far though.

1955_C.jpg

Moved around a Cypress Knee for a better angle, but it was further away yet again so I quickly put on the 1.7tc.

1990_C.jpg

I was very happy with the results even though I could not get as close as I would have liked. I got within 10 yards of a Black Crowned Night Heron but he was deep into a Bald Cypress tree and offered no clear shots. I will be back to this place again...and hope to catch them fishing in the creek like I did the juvenile YCHN last week.

Jason the indigo shots are just stunning. The Night Heron shots are also well done. Your persistence in finding the best shooting angles really paid off. Look forward to seeing more Heron shots from your Cypress bog.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
:biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile:

but me I am :redface::mad::redface::mad:

Because I am not taking wonderful shots like these.

Jason the indigo shots are just stunning. The Night Heron shots are also well done. Your persistence in finding the best shooting angles really paid off. Look forward to seeing more Heron shots from your Cypress bog.

Thanks Larry...I have continually been blessed with my photography this year. I am learning new stuff each time out, and getting able to photograph some nice subjects has not hurt any!

Very good shots. I am jealous of your bunting. I have never gotten this close (I have same gear you have.)

Thanks for the reply Allan. This year has been a wonderful year for Indigo Buntings around here. I have NEVER seen so many before. Just tonight while having dinner at my brothers place, while swimming the woods was loud with Indigo Bunting singing. From his pool, I could count at least 5 different males in the various trees! So...it helps that we are so blessed to have a heavy population of these this year.

Great job, Jason. I especially like #2.

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

I'm going to have to agree with Larry, those first few are stunning!

Jon, thanks for the reply. The Buntings were up just high enough so that the distance from me to them was very short in comparison to the background distance and thus the 600VR turned the BG's to cream. That is the set up I always hope for, but seldome achieve!

DUDE!!! #3 and #4 are simply awesome! That 600VR ROCKS!

Thanks Rich...appreciate it a great deal. Yes, the 600VR rocks...it is my go to lens for sure. In fact, since buying this lens in January of this year, I have only shot with my 200-400VR 2 times. The 600 is just what I needed for the subjects I try to get most of the time.

Very nice set! Beautiful shots!

Thanks Alex, appreciate the reply.

Oh My! The bunting shots are stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the reply.

Superb images as usual... your bunting images are great.

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for the reply.

great shots Jason, the Indigo Bunting is a beautiful bird

Thanks Colin, it indeed is a beautiful bird. It is among my top 10 favorite birds to photograph. Thanks for the reply.

Wow, what great shot.

Thanks Steve.

Another super series Jason!
You killing me here:biggrin::wink:

Hey buddy...I wish you and Wade could get out here with me sometimes! It will work out in the future.

These are all great, Jason. How much closer do you want to get to the heron?!?! Very nice composition on these.

Thanks David...and to answer your question...I want them so close that no cropping is needed. That is a goal I try to achieve with each outing. Ultimate would be full frame with the 600 naked. There is NOTHING that trumps subject distance in my book.

:biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile::biggrin::smile:

but me I am :redface::mad::redface::mad:

Because I am not taking wonderful shots like these.

Thanks Wade, you have been busy for sure. Sometimes things just work out right...I have been blessed with some great photo ops lately.

gg these are off the charts Jason

Thank you very much Randy. I really appreciate that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom