Indigo bunting

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob Coutant, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    It’s best to be both lucky and good, but, forced to make a choice, I’d rather be lucky. I was patiently waiting the return of some cedar waxwings to a red berry bush in back of the house when this indigo bunting flew in and perched on a branch hanging from a nearby cherry tree. I managed three shots before his mate caught up with him and they flew off across the pasture. It’s a little soft because of the wind, but it’s also my first indigo bunting in two years – I’ll take it (for now:wink:).

DSC_1736sm.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a beautiful bird
    Nice shot. Keeper.

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Gale. I've seen this male and his mate fly through the yard many times, but I hadn't figured out where they were going. If I'm lucky, I'll learn that before the end of the summer.

4. That has to be one of the most difficult species to catch. They do not stay still very long at all. Good job Bob`

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Little birds drive me nutzzzz...Just can't get shots. To fast..To far away....
    I am just in a bad place for them

Having fun with the now, 7 squirrels...lolol

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    They don't even look real, little soft but a keeper because of the subject.

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Dave, they're fairly regular in their foraging pattern. In the past, I've had luck studying where and when they are -- then pick a spot and camp out until they show up. A couple of years ago I had one (actually a hybrid) that would perch within two feet of a particular spot on a TV cable at noontime every day.

8. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Yeh, but you have the big birds -- egrets, herons, spoonbills, and even shuttles. [squirrels can be fun too:biggrin::biggrin:]

9. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Jeff. A couple of years ago, I had a genuinely unreal bunting -- a hybrid between the indigo and your western lazuli.

10. Bob I agree about you comment on the bunting but I was wondering if on the original if you tried to isolate the bird from the BG with the Lasso tool and blur the BG and than sharpen the bird. Perhaps if the BG were blured the bunting may stand out better. Do you mind if I try it on you posted photo.
    Lou

11. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Lou, I did mask the bird and the nearest part of his "trapeze" and then sharpen that section, but I did not push that thought to its logical conclusion by slightly blurring the rest. As I had saved the mask, I just went back and tried your suggestion -- that does work nicely as long as I don't push it too far.
    I would be interested in seeing your version. THANKS

12. Hi Bob well I tried but I think the only improvement I could get was by blurring the BG I got rid of some of the noise and what appears to be a slight halo on the leaves. I used very low levels of Gaussian blur and faded each time (twice) to 50% I did the same thing to the bird using USM at low levels so I didn’t create any line between bird and BG but all in all I don’t think I could save it but perhaps you can. Also before I gave up on it being you have the raw to work from after finishing I would try printing an 8X10 and change the resolution up to 360PPI and select Bicubic sharper for the printer. I have heard this worked quite well in producing a large print of pretty good quality but it does go against all the rules. I tried it on a 12 X 18 and it worked very well on an 8X10 converted to a 12 X 18. Hope you can save it, rare find.
    Lou
    547860146_731f878cd5_o.

547860160_c21fd45213_o.

13. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Lou. I played around with it some more and arrived at something very similar to your blurred version, which I like. I've used this approach before, but almost always have trouble deciding how far to go with it. I also noticed a couple of halos, which I had not seen before, and managed to correct those using a "darken only" clone technique. One reason to post in a friendly forum like this is that we don't all see the same things in the same way -- the comments help to broaden our perspective.

-- May old Rip smile upon your day -- ​