Industrial remains

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Elf_8, Jul 20, 2005.

1. These are a translation of a personal impression on these industrial remains. IR is from a Hoya R72, switched to B&W, quadtones, and a little Orton effect on top.
    29071401-L.
    Nikon D70
    2005/07/11 07:16:52.8
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 25mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    2.50 sec - F/5.6
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

29071432-L.
    Nikon D70
    2005/07/11 07:23:45.1
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 27mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    3 sec - F/5.6
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: Manual
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Excellent and spooky in a broad daylight sort of way. There is a feeling of failed history in 'industrial remains'. People used to make their living there, but now it's abandoned. Spooky, eh?

What is the Orton effect?

3. Hi Chris. When I was a kid, a looong time ago, my father and I used to go to this mill to fish at the dam. These were the very last years of operating, we are talking the fifties here. We took the spoiled area as something normal with piles of rubbish and toxic waste. Nowadays, the place has been cleaned and restored to a park with bicycle trails, picnic tables and a café. Fish has returned, ducks and herons. Yves (aka Boobie Joe) hangs around at times and he has gotten some of his best night herons shots from there.

The Orton effect is stamped from it's inventor or popularizer (?), Michael Orton.
    Check his site here http://www.michaelorton.com/
    The effect comes from creating a layer with a blur selectively applied to the highlights (there exist numerous ways to do it, just google "Orton effect" - you can also look into the LuminousLandscape tutorials for a good one http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/gaussian.shtml). It creates a dreamy impression ; I find it compelling used in combination with IR that drives the mental in the same lane.

4. So Christian, you stole my next subject matter ... lolololol

I was going to go there tonite and do that very same shot in IR ... lol

Glad to see you around, I dig you lost my phone number, I hardly get any news from you anymore ... sad sad thing ... :)

5. Hey Yves.
    I'll pm you in native...