Infield shots I would have missed

Last year, when I started shooting a little baseball and softball, it was just pics of my nephew's kids. I'd shoot them at the plate, and then, at their field positions. I guess you could say I was shooting in more of a 'static' mode, than 'dynamic'. Since I was always shooting in manual, it wasn't a problem.

But now, I'm shooting a LOT of baseball. and my stubborn 'manual' ways were causing me to miss shots. some of the fields I shoot at, can have the plate in shadows, and the infield in sun at the same time. I simply couldn't change settings quick enough to get the hit and the infield play. Then along came this thread by Frank;https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=114723

I then realized that maybe I should give up my 'manual' ways, and try aperture prioity. It's still work in progress, and is different for this old-schooler, but I'm now getting shots that I would have otherwise missed. I'm now getting the hit and the infield play. :biggrin:

So, thanks Frank for starting that thread and wakeing me up. :biggrin: Also, thanks to Mike, Randy, Topher, Twig, and the rest of you. I've learned a lot from all of you on this forum.

DSC_2291PZcopy57w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2288PZw.jpg

DSC_3415ZPw.jpg

DSC_3409ZPcopyw2.jpg

DSC_2794ZPcopyw.jpg

DSC_3395ZPw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just LOVE the facial expressions in #'s 3 & 5. Your work is beautiful and I'm sure the kids/parents love the shots!!! :smile:

Yes, aperature definitely has it's advantages.......and you can always change ISO or EV adjustment as necessary if you're unhappy with how things are turning out. :smile:

I just LOVE the facial expressions in #'s 3 & 5. Your work is beautiful and I'm sure the kids/parents love the shots!!! :smile:

Thanks, Gretchen. talk about timing...... Just after I posted this thread, I checked my email. just received one from smugmug that telling me that the mother of the infielder in #3 just ordered ten prints. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, aperature definitely has it's advantages.......and you can always change ISO or EV adjustment as necessary if you're unhappy with how things are turning out. :smile:

that's been part of my adjustment curve. the other night, I was changing ISO back and forth between 200 and 400. next time, maybe I'll try EV adjusting also.

Thanks

B

Brew

Yep, Like everyone else said, gotta love those little faces!!!:biggrin:

Nice shots!!!

Good stuff Jim..I really like 3 and 5.

I usually shoot in manual also but have played with other settings and they
all have their place.

Jim, thanks for the acknowledgement, but the thanks should go to our forum mates. I am so proud to say that we all learn from one another here and this is a true testament to the fact. I used to shoot manual, then shutter priority and now all I shoot sports with is aperture priority. If works well for me and since getting a better grip on my EV compensation, I am coming home with many more keepers. I shot a baseball game yesterday and an acquaintance was shooting the game as well. He was moaning about his results and how he was blowing shots due to the wrong exposure settings. I tried offering some tips, but he wouldn't hear of it saying that manual mode was the best exposure mode, I shrugged my shoulders and said, "okay".

Great shots, Jim! Those really were a lot of fun to look at. Those kids remind me what I love about sports.

There are a lot of great folks here, and a really enjoy everyone's baseball shots. I should comment more and post more and try to get some help to!

Great shots, Jim! Those really were a lot of fun to look at. Those kids remind me what I love about sports.

There are a lot of great folks here, and a really enjoy everyone's baseball shots. I should comment more and post more and try to get some help to!

Thanks, Mason.

Latest threads

Top Bottom