1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Info from Debbie on Bird Feeding....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    John (jryoung1947) posted a reply in one of Debbie's (Birdlady) threads asking about her bird feed advice that she so kindly gave me. Here is the text of what she sent me a few days ago. Debbie, feel free to amplify (and thanks again :smile:) .

FYI, I buy most of my bird feed from Lowes. I get 2.4 lb Garden Treasures Trail Mix Seed Cake (which has really helped bring in the birds) there, and I buy their Wild Bird Seed and Black Oil Sunflower Seed in 20 lb bags which I mix and put in 6 feeders. Also from Debbie, I got my meal worms here. The have various order sizes. I bought the 10,000 for $38 (I just ran out today, and I'm going to put in another order). The Robins, Bluejays, Mockingbirds, and several other species love them.

As Debbie said, I hope that this helps. :smile:

2. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    Frank, Debbie, Great info.
    Frank this should be a sticky if it is not already!

Thanks,
    Bill

3. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Debbie & Frank thanks so much,been trying to get the blue jays in the yard have tried a lot of the stuff from wal-mart.Got to get some of those meal worms this should just about do it for my wife,as she thinks I am on shakey ground already :eek:  LOL.Lets get those backyard birdies coming in. :BigGrin:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,

Janie just rolls her eyes every time I come in with something new. The guys at work (and the mailman) totally freaked when the meal worm shipment came in a couple of weeks ago.

Let's face it, we're strange. :biggrin:

5. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    My bird Food List

Frank, I thought this might help. A few pictures of the bird food that I feed to the birds. I have more but I will post them later or anyone who want to see the rest, can wait until I write my book. I have a couple of tips and tricks for attracting birds.

large.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 90513

View attachment 90514

View attachment 90515

View attachment 90516

View attachment 90517

View attachment 90518

View attachment 90519

View attachment 90520

View attachment 90521

PS: My husband saw a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in our backyard. I now have two male Ruby-throated Hummingbird!!!

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Wow Debbie! Your birds eat better than I do. I am going to show this to my wife :biggrin:

8. Geez I thought I had a lot of bird food!! I have six dogs to feed and the birds are starting to compete for $$$ at the dinner table. I have eight - bird feeders up, not counting the Hummingbird feeders. I tried the prepared humingbird nector, they would not go for it, so I make my own 4/1 mix.

My Walmart all of a sudden dropped the bird food/feeder isle. Perhaps the Pet stores were giving the competition? Lowes carries bird food, but the first bag I got was full of moths - watch out for that. I put all my bird food into containers. And then of course there is feeding the squirrels too;) 

I am glad I am not the only crazy person when it comes to birds.

9. Wonderful, thanks so much!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow wonderful information.
    Great pics to Debbie:>))

Flew can you make this thread a sticky:) )))

11. That trail mix is excellent. I went out and bought some. The funniest thing is it looked better than bag of mix I snack on in the car.

12. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Great information Debbie & Frank. Thanks for posting it.

13. A pox of Grackles

Good idea on the sticky!

I have an interesting observation. I went out and bought some of the "fruit trail mix". We get the occasional cardinal, blue jay and plenty of finches. Since the trail mix went out we get over 200 grackles a day, in mass. Now we do get more wood peckers, doves and cardinals but those grackles are over the top :smile:

I am also getting frequent visits from a Kestrel now. I suspect the fruit mix adds a certain "Je ne sais quois" to the texture of my charges.

No complaints as the usuals are still here, and my yard is more interesting.

14. WOW that's a lot of bird feed. I guess I'm lucky as I just get the Black oil sunflower seed and cracked corn. The corn seems to bring the turkeys and jays but my trouble is I need to take my feeders in each night or have bear trouble as they love bird seed. I mostly have to find them in the wild.
    The National Wildlife Federation I believe gives help with what they call I think going green for a garden. They help you costruct a garden of flowers that draws many birds and in the long run better for the birds system and your pocket book. I'll see if I can find more on it.
    Lou
    PS About buying seed at Lowes, BAD MOVE they sell junk and some even moldy.

15. catspj

catspj

May 16, 2007
    New England
    Hey tim
    My mom is trying to chase the blue jays out of her yard. Between them and the tricky squirrels the other birds can't get any food. Her blue jays grab whole peanuts in the shell as fast as she can put them out.

She has a balitmore oriole but I've only seen it once near the food. My shots of it are all marred by branches etc. Maybe we can start a bird swap for photographers! :biggrin:

16. Sandra, I am in NE too. My problem is squirrels - no matter what I put out the squirrels get most of it.

17. Hi Debbie, I stumbled onto an idea that seems to work really good so I thought I’d pass it on here. My back yard feeders I make up from coffee cans as I do have a problem with bears and it only takes one visit to destroy an expensive feeder. But that is not what I wanted to add. Along with the bears destroying a feeder they also will take what ever is holding them up and believe me the only way you can outsmart them is to take in the feeders at night. OK so I had a piece of pipe fastened to the deck rail and I noticed every time a bird would grab a seed it would fly over to this blow down by the side of my place in the woods and roost on the dead branches so I decided to cut a piece of the top of what was a maple tree and kept some of the branches on it. I than fastened it onto the deck post and temp stuck a piece of stove pipe on it to prevent the squirrels and raccoons from getting up. Now the birds grab a seed and roost on the dead branches on the feeder post and offer nice nature looking photos in a lot of spots. Main thing is they have a place to wait for their turn at the feeder. Here’s a photo
    Lou

18. photo
    633411666_49f31855f5_o.jpg

19. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Here is a squirrel proof feeder I use. It works well. You set the acceptable weight to an accuracy of 1/10 ounce, any birds heavier than, say 2 oz, cannot eat, only birds that are lighter. No more squirrels, Common Grackles, or Blue Jays. "Fat birds" and squirrels simply tip the balance and the perch connected to the feed cut-off door lowers and shuts the seed supply off...:

165553253-L.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.