Informal, (at a wedding)

Discussion in 'People' started by Markb, Oct 2, 2008.

1. My brother was married last weekend at his home, (I was not the photographer) and after the ceremony, my mother asked (instructed in a motherly way) me to take a picture of her grandchildren. So, dutifully, I did.

FWIW, I used two off camera SB800's with -1FV held by my wife and dad. It appears I screwed up the background, the DOF is too great. However, C&C on how to improve this type of 'quick and dirty' informal portrait are always welcome.

Graeme (who is usually found in the sports forum, cleaned up pretty well) is on the left, my daughter Emily and Alex, my nephew:

103971059.jpg

And another of my cousins with their new baby:

103971058.jpg

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Very nice images - I'm curious about the need to use 2SB800s outdoors, I could see using one for a little fill flash but not sure about two - but then I don't really know much about flash. The background doesn't bother me - you could probably soften it in PS if you have the urge.

You asked for C&C - the tip I got recently was to always try to get people to have their heads really close together. You can see how much "closer" the people look in the second photo vs. the first. Of course a couple will always be "closer" than say siblings. Maybe also consider a triangular composition? I think the eyes of one person should be sort of level with the mouth of the next. Graeme (tallest on left) maybe could be positioned between the other two for a portrait orientation with the heads in a triangle.

Just my thoughts - I bet your Mother will be very happy with the images - I think we sometimes beat ourselves up trying to get the perfect image! :)

3. Leah,

Thank you for the comments, its exactly what I'm looking for. I think Graeme in the middle would make for a better shot... Graeme felt the need to lean away from his sister. The alignment is also a good tip.

It was a very cloudy day, so I thought I would use the two flashes to eliminate shadows from one, and to try and get a bit of a catchlight in their eyes.

Mom is happy, which ultimately what counts!

4. As a mom, I would cherish the eye contact and the happy expressions in this photo.

5. Thank you Irma.