Infrared with a D50 and kitlens

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Boobie Joe, Jul 24, 2005.

1. All done with the D50 and Kit lens. A Hoya R72 Filter was used.

Very promissing IMO

The camera is light and easy to work with

Benoit G was with me and I think he and I wouldn't have a problem recommending the camera for any type of photography to anyone that loves photography.

Here are the shots ...

original.

original.

Same shot but in color

original.

original.

original.

original.

With a different PP twist ...

original.

original.

Thx for looking questions and comments welcome ...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very interesting about the D50 Yves. I don't want one. But glad to hear of the performance.

I want a D100 replacement. Maybe a year would be good for me...lolol $$$$$ Ya know. Or whatever is somewhere inbetween the D2h and D2X.

Only prob with a replacement or advancement of a D100 would, I would guess, around 2500.

Then I would have to wait longer. Darnnnnnnn.

NOOOOOOO no Canon. I am a Nikon Girl. Don't even ask me why LOLOLOL

Just a life dream of a Nikon Slr I guess. Don't even know why that is why it was a Nikon.

ANYWAY......... I love all of your IR images.

I love IR....

3. Oooh! Yves.
    Now you talk. # 2 is my prefered - really dreamy.

4. Merci Christian ...

5. Just outstanding Yves! I have to get me a R72 filter now for Kenya in late September. A 77m will be a very cool thing to bring with me I think.

Have you tried the Hoya R72 on the D2x? Wow, do you have me interested in this...thanks, I LOVE these!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

6. Really nice Yves. How are you doing your post processing? I have an R72, but haven't gotten the beautiful results you have.

7. For the 3 first that my computer allow me to see, #2 is very very good. I get those dreadful red X.

8. The 2nd and 3rd ones are most definitely my favorites. I'm going to have to try my hand out at using an IR filter, and do some experimenting.

9. clew

clew Guest

Yves, these are most interesting. How would you describe the 87 vs the 72? I have an 87 (my images before processing are a violet hue) and I was curious what the 72 looked like out of the camera.

thanks!
    Chris

10. I did a preset WB with the filter on shooting at a green bright patch of grass

All of them were shot in RAW, this gives lattitude to readjust the WB eventually.

1- I opened image in NC 4.3
    2- WB box, selected eye dropper and pinned the leaves in the trees
    3- Clicked on contrast and brought back to Normal (was low)
    4- Used sRGB IIIa, richer colors than sRGB I
    5- Checked for highlights and adjusted accordingly
    6- Save NEF and Made a 8Bit Tiff copy
    7- Opened the Tiff in PSCS (or PSCS2)
    8- Did a Auto-level and adjusted opacity
    9- Channel Mixer infos:

Red Channel: Brought red to 0 and blue to 100
    Green channel: untouched
    Blue Channel: Brought red to 100 and blue to 0

adjusted constant to likings

10- Save new image in Tiff
    11- Resized to 900 pix
    12- Applied sharpening (be careful, not too much, use layers)
    13- Save as jpeg value 9 for web (+/- 200kb)

Hope this helps

11. Thx very much Gilles

12. I haven't tried the 87, only the 72 and the Cokin P007

here is a shot I did with a P007 before Post Processing.

original.

13. Numbers 3,4,5,6 and 7 have really caught my attention. I like them all. Thanks for sharing your experience with this camera and filter Yves.

14. Merci Gordon, I appreaciate you take time to write to me ...

15. Man I really love your IR posts. Captivating. And...eerie!

16. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I did get the Cokin P007, never got to using it though..... but your pictures make me try and find that thing ...

17. Hope you get to use it soon.