Initial Impressions - Canon 6D Mk II

Real Name
Ken St John
New camera (Canon 6D Mk II) and most of the kit (24-105, 70-200 lenses, flash, battery grip) arrived today ... unfortunately, so did the rainy season!! Everything I took a picture of looks sort of like one big gray scale!! However, I did get some samples.

First up is a straight from the camera JPEG with no processing ..
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And, a RAW image quickly processed in On1

Another JPEG

And a processed RAW image:

Seemed appropriate to run one through Silver eFex Pro as it was certainly a B&W kind of day ...

Overall I do not see much, if any, difference between these and similar shots I've taken with my old D750. IQ is frankly quite nice on both systems.

However, I do note a couple of things about the 6D ...

- The built in GPS is terrific (i like to have the GPS coordinates on a map to remind me where I've been!!)

- The Canon iPhone app that uses BT and WIFI is flawless. When I need to transfer images quickly from the camera to the phone, I tap once in the app to transfer the images, and the app takes over and starts up wifi, connects, transfers the files, then disconnects all by itself. The wifi on the D750 and the Nikon Wireless Mobile App required me to go into the camera menu to turn wifi on, then I had to go to the phone's settings to look for and join the Nikon wifi network manually. Then I could select and transfer images. Yeah, in the long run they both do the same thing, but the Canon is far easier and quicker!

- The touch screen on the back is terrific!! (You D850 owners know what I mean ...)

- I'm liking the little electronic level that can be displayed in the viewfinder. My horizons were all much better than before!! :)

- Fit & finish seem identical, but a lot of the buttons and so on are in the "wrong spot" for my muscle memory!! For example, the Canon's ON/OFF slider is on the left side vs Nikon's on the right ...

- Hopefully we'll see the sun again and I can do a bit more testing under better conditions!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Adding a couple more from a shoot yesterday ... RAW images, processed in DXO ...

I'll admit I am probably biased, but I see nothing wrong with the technical performance of this camera!! I had read a lot about how the dynamic range was poor and there was too much noise in the shadows. I'm just not seeing that big of a difference (with my 68-year old eyes) even when pixel peeping!!

IN fact, I compared the noise with a couple of NEF samples from the D850 and at about the same ISO (~500), the D850's noise in the dark areas was a little better, but not much.

Cheers!!

Ken

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Adding a couple more from a shoot yesterday ... RAW images, processed in DXO ...

View attachment 1621752

View attachment 1621751

View attachment 1621753

View attachment 1621754

I'll admit I am probably biased, but I see nothing wrong with the technical performance of this camera!! I had read a lot about how the dynamic range was poor and there was too much noise in the shadows. I'm just not seeing that big of a difference (with my 68-year old eyes) even when pixel peeping!!

IN fact, I compared the noise with a couple of NEF samples from the D850 and at about the same ISO (~500), the D850's noise in the dark areas was a little better, but not much.

Cheers!!

Ken
Wonderful series Ken.
May I assume, it's a ship in #3? Looks to symetrical for a rock or island...

Kind regards
Klaus

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom