1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

INITIAL Review of 500 PF - Steve Perry

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Butlerkid, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
  2. Seems like a winner - especially if you don't need a tc and shoot in bright light.

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    And I'll bet that most photographers who shoot the 200-500mm have the lens max'd at 500mm much of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I've always preferred zooms and love the ability to more effectively compose in camera. But when shooting birds/wildlife, I solve that problem by having a 2nd body outfitted with something like the 80-400mm. For wildlife I prefer a 500mm or 600mm prime on my main camera body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Most of my 200-500 wildlife shots are around 300mm, I have difficulty finding BIF over 300mm. 99% of the time I’m handholding it.

5. I no longer enjoy shooting 2 bodies but I shoot the 200-500 like a 500/5.6 so the 200-500 may get sold

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I agree for BIF. For that I use the 300PF f4! Much easier to hand hold and you get a 450mm/f5.6 with tele.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. 420/5.6 but whose counting

I’m going to take the little guy this afternoon for skimmers in flight, carrying the 500 on the soft sand is wearing me out. I’m conflicted though on 1.4 or 1.7
    I’m switching to the D500 and I’m Leary of thev1.7 on f/4 glass so it’ll be the 1.4
    The 300 Pfc is very impressive for flights

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You're right....420mm! LOL!

I've never been impressed with the 1.7 tele. The 300mm + 1.4 is plenty on the D850.....that cropability comes in handy and I find the focus tracking is generally adequate. The D850 is a great companion to the D5.

9. The D850s AF burned me 2x so it’s gone. It’s a good camera but not close to the D5 IMO.
    I rarely need any more crop ability than my D5. High ISO is very close to the D500 so for now tye D500 is my #2

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Of course the D5 is KING! That goes without saying! I shot the D5 for almost a year while you were still saying the D4s was good enough! :p 

I'm glad you are happy with the D500. But I have to agree with Steve Perry. He uses the D850 a lot and only seldom takes the D500 out of his bag.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Now now, gloating is not nice
    Honestly I don’t care what Steve uses or doesn’t use
    And I never owned a D4s, I don’t think:) 

12. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Sorry......was just trying to joke and tease a little. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings....

13. Now, now, Kids, play nice :D :happy: 

14. You missed the smiley face in my post

15. Karen, did you sell you 500/4G yet?
    Are you going to pick up the 500 PF?

16. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    I have the 300/4PF and the 200-500VR and the 500/4.

Of course the 500/4 is the best in focus and bokeh , the 300/4 is so light und easy to use, its a pleasure.
    but hey i am living in europe. birds are often far away and it is difficult to get near.

my 200-500 is often at 500mm , because its necessary when i am shooting really wildlife (not from a hide with prepared places)...

so i am a little bit disappointed that this new lens will not be a 600/5.6PF for now.. but for sure i will have a deeper look at this new piece of glas,
    because it seems to be fast in autofocus and the weight is a dream for birds in flight ;) 

17. Last I saw she was poking around for a 600.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I sold my super sharp 500G VR and bought a 600mm/f4 E......

19. Sweet!!

20. Let us know how you like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.