Initial thoughts on Z6 and Z7 - Steve Perry

Real Name
Eric
I think he is (for now) totally right (for wildlife) !The main thoughts and problems start at minute 13 ;)

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think these bodies will be excellent travel cameras with the 24-70/F4 lens. Small, light, high quality images. Not as compact as a film-based Leica, for example, but still better form factor and lighter than the D850 for spending the day walking around a city.

I think these bodies will be excellent travel cameras with the 24-70/F4 lens. Small, light, high quality images. Not as compact as a film-based Leica, for example, but still better form factor and lighter than the D850 for spending the day walking around a city.
My thinking as well. I also have a 19 PC-E and like it for that lens too.

Maybe I missed something from Nikon about these being "Action" cameras, if not, where is this complaint coming from? Did Nikon Rumors claim that the D5 was dead? Steve normally does a very good job with his videos, I think a one paragraph post saying that we will have to wait until 2019 or 2020 for a challenger to the D5 would have stated the obvious.

I think, in retrospect, that Nikon was so successful at creating an air of mystery around the Z twins, that every genre of photographer believes the 6 or the 7 was aimed at them. That also resulted in the rumor mill, and more importantly the click-bait, web experts (NOT Steve Perry!) having an open invite to wax poetic.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
All I got from that is ... wait for the final product and future firmware updates :whistle:
If the target audience is not sports/wildlife photographers, then there may not be the types of updates that would remove current deficiencies related to wildlife/sports photography.

We really don't know what development route Nikon is implementing.

Well if you examine the Z Mount S Lens road map there are only 2 lenses longer than 70mm.....I think they see this camera as anything but action/wildlife. They stress their new mount is excellent for low light and WA lenses and well, their putting their development into those...these will make excellent street and landscape cams......

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If the target audience is not sports/wildlife photographers, then there may not be the types of updates that would remove current deficiencies related to wildlife/sports photography.

True, but when you pay that type of $$$ it should be more than adequate for all forms of photography.

Karen, what I am expecting to happen for the pro action/sports shooter is a D5 equivalent ML body (Vertical Grip, En-el18b battery type stuff) and at the same time Nikon announces a Z mount 400mm f2.8. Then the Pro movement to Z will begin and my wallet will get thinner. :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
True, but when you pay that type of $$$ it should be more than adequate for all forms of photography.
The new mirrorless cameras are adequate for the general photo needs of most people. Wildlife and sports are specialized fields that require advanced AF acquisition and tracking, burst rates, long focal length lenses, fast glass, etc. JMHO......

The new mirrorless cameras are adequate for the general photo needs of most people. Wildlife and sports are specialized fields that require advanced AF acquisition and tracking, burst rates, long focal length lenses, fast glass, etc. JMHO......
OK, I guess I shouldn't expect too much for $4,400 CDN - Z7 (body only) ... me bad

Indeed. I don’t think any firmware fix is going to suddenly make these cameras suitable for sports or wildlife shooters. And even if they can patch-up the very serious AF issues that have been reported, the lack of a second card slot eliminates them from consideration for most pros. Considering the price of the Z7 along with all the drama leading up to the launch I think there are many Nikon fans that must be scratching their heads right now wondering what Nikon was trying to accomplish.

Who, exactly has Nikon aimed the Z7/6 at? Or are we ALL assuming we, whatever it is we shoot, are the prime target?
and,
Are we now in a "we need it all, NOW" situation?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom