Initial thoughts on Z6 and Z7 - Steve Perry

Real Name
Andrew
I can forgive the 1 XQD card slot, but no shutter button on the upcoming battery grip for the Z cameras? Seriously, why is Nikon playing these stupid games by adding and removing features? The last battery 'only' grip was on the Nikon N80/F80! All the other mirrorless companies have been battling it tooth-and-nail to win customers by adding features on each iteration. All of them have fully functional grips. My main interest in getting a Z camera was so I can use some of my telephoto lenses, but now this is looking less likely.

--

Interview: Nikon Z7 and Z6 – what was Nikon's thinking, and how will the Z system evolve?

Digital Camera World:
There's a battery grip, is that right?

Tim Carter:

It's not a grip, it's a battery pack.

Digital Camera World:

So it doesn't feature a portrait format shutter button?

Tim Carter:

No. I don't have a huge amount of details. Basically we're just announcing that we will be developing a battery pack. It will take two batteries, and boost therefore the battery life of the product.
The battery pack is aimed toward the video shooters, so they do not need to swap batteries as often.

Real Name
Andrew
Odd that no one is talking about the video. FF 4-2-2 10bit log via an external recorder for 2 grand. I don't think anything competes with that, does it? I mean not even close.
Not as far as I know. Now, to get the 10 bit log, you need to route the video to an external recorder...which is not a big deal as I think most serious film makers would do that anyway.

I think no one is talking about the video because historically, Nikon was behind in video for years. Now they have quite a few cameras that are competitive in video (D500, D5, D850) and now 2 that will be better than most (Z6/Z7) plus the Z cameras are reporting to have actual usable continuous video AF. Go figure. I guess it might still be a shock...or that video is still not that big a draw to Nikon shooters.

JPS

It is not possible to use a Z lens on an F mount DSLR.
A Z mount lens focuses 16mm behind the rear flange
An F mount lens focuses 46.5mm behind the rear flange.

To make an F mount lens work on a Z cam it needs an additional 30.5 space....and that is what the FTZ adapter provides.
To make a Z mount lens work on a F mount camera it would need a -30.5mm spacer and that's not possible.
Hi Geof !

Oooops ! Silly me ! Of course ! The damn rear flange.... didn't even think of that ! One can ADD more space, but one cannot SUBSTRACT space !

Thanks to remind me that !

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom